oil and filter

-

mr.318

Reaction score
i just did a search on oil and i'm confused more, i ran the shell 10-40 for break in no problems never heard a tick 75 pounds cold 65 pounds hot at cruise now at 450 miles changed oil used the shell rotella 15-40 with a moparfilter now it ticks for like 5 seconds anytime you start it after it sits for over 30 mins. and only has 55 pound hot at cruise now i'm changing oil again tomorrow what should i use it' hot here can't find that penn oil i used the rotella 15-40 oil because after reading post seems like most of ya use it but it' not for me, never ticked before the change also whats a good weight for hot weather i won't my 65 pounds at cruise back first time i used a mopar filter to could that be it ?

mr.318 said:
i just did a search on oil and i'm confused more, i ran the shell 10-40 for break in no problems never heard a tick 75 pounds cold 65 pounds hot at cruise now at 450 miles changed oil used the shell rotella 15-40 with a moparfilter now it ticks for like 5 seconds anytime you start it after it sits for over 30 mins. and only has 55 pound hot at cruise now i'm changing oil again tomorrow what should i use it' hot here can't find that penn oil i used the rotella 15-40 oil because after reading post seems like most of ya use it but it' not for me, never ticked before the change also whats a good weight for hot weather i won't my 65 pounds at cruise back first time i used a mopar filter to could that be it ?

From my understanding we have three different routes to go as far as oiling our flat tappet cams.

(1) Use regular 10w-40, 10w-30,etc,etc, motor oil and add Comp Cams oil additive or Hughes cam oil additive. Buying Hughes oil additive and having it sent to your door will cost you $20.00

http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=12866&eTypeID=20

(2 Use Rotella 15w-40

(3) Use racing oils such as Valvoline VR-1.

My oil change is due and I think I'm going with the Valvoline VR-1 even though the Rotella is cheaper. My local part stores has VR-1 on the shelves so I will not have to order anything.

STP has as much zinc as any of the additives and is only $2 or $3 bucks a bottle. No need to pay for the Hughes or Comp stuff.

dgc333 said:
STP has as much zinc as any of the additives and is only $2 or $3 bucks a bottle. No need to pay for the Hughes or Comp stuff.

After doing some research on the internet I found that the only product that has zinc in it made buy STP is STP Engine
Treatment With XEP2. That cost you $17.95. The $3 stuff which is STP Oil additive dose not state or to be found to have zinc. I believe the STP Oil additve falls under the PTEF catagory.

http://www.go-synthetic.com/oil_treatments/oil_treatments.html
"Among the
products we found containing zinc dialkyldithiophosphate were Mechanics
Brand Engine Tune Up, K Mart Super Oil Treatment, and STP Engine
Treatment With XEP2."

I have looked on the STP website and can't seem to find that they even have the engine treatment.

http://www.stp.com/index.html

But I did find that the STP Engine Treatment with XZEP2 have got themselves in trouble.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1995/12/stp.shtm

I for one would go with what Hot Rod has to say about the matter.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/flat_tappet_cam_tech/oil_summary.html

"If you make provisions to adequately lubricate the lifter/lobe interface, use only quality lifters, fill the sump with diesel or racing motor oils, and follow proper break-in procedure, any flat-tappet cam failures should be minimized. It's a lot more effort than we've become accustomed to, but if you still want to run a high- performance flat-tappet cam, it's something you'll just have to get used to doing."

thanks for the info. i changed the oil today used lucas racingoil never seen it before says heavyduty racingoil 20w50 or straight 60w. i don't like 20w50 but i'm trying it i was gonna use royalpurple but it says not to use in motors with under 3000 miles i'll post what i think about the lucas after i crank it tomorrow

Me and my dad have been using the stp knockoff that the family dollar store has been selling think its called engine treatment or something like that. on the back of the bottle it has the ingredents and it says that it has the zink dialkyldithiophosphate and something else. suppose to be the same but stp dont have a ingredents list but it looks the same and just as thick as hell. We have been using it for years with no problems.

73dartsport318 said:
Me and my dad have been using the stp knockoff that the family dollar store has been selling think its called engine treatment or something like that. on the back of the bottle it has the ingredents and it says that it has the zink dialkyldithiophosphate and something else. suppose to be the same but stp dont have a ingredents list but it looks the same and just as thick as hell. We have been using it for years with no problems.

Was it engine treatment with xzep2 or oil treatment in the blue bottle? I could be wrong. The oil treatment might be cram full of zinc but I sure could not find any thing that states the fact of what is in it. But anyways I don't think I will be adding any additives to my oil period. Check this out:

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

"It's interesting to note that some race techs have reported sludge buildup in race engines as a result of aftermarket additives being used in conjunction with the regular oil. The chemical composition of the additives isn't as neutral as some companies would lead us to believe, and combined with particular types of oil and high-stress driving, they can cause oil breakdown and sludge to appear. The lesson from them appears to be "don't use additives". "

thats really good info ,yes it is a blue bottle that looks almost like a stp bottle. the stuff i use is called pro shop oil treatment and on the back it says it contains
zinc Diakyl-Dithiophosphate and Olefin Copolymer. i agree with not using additives unless u cant avoid it but me and dad dont have anything worth buying the racing oils for well until i get my motor built then ill probably run VR1 or something to that affect.

73dartsport318 said:
thats really good info ,yes it is a blue bottle that looks almost like a stp bottle. the stuff i use is called pro shop oil treatment and on the back it says it contains
zinc Diakyl-Dithiophosphate and Olefin Copolymer. i agree with not using additives unless u cant avoid it but me and dad dont have anything worth buying the racing oils for well until i get my motor built then ill probably run VR1 or something to that affect.

Oh ok so it isn't made by STP at all. Pro Shop Oil Treatment......I've never heard of that one.

Yeah I think the racing oil or diesel oil is the safest route to go.

i'll check the dollar store treatment out no tick today on first start with the lucas motor oil i don't know why it ticked with the 15-40 diesel oil but i won't use it anymore i'm just like that about stuff it also has 80 pounds cold now instead of 75 i'm fixing to go to the lucas site and find out if it's got zinc

The tick after sitting was more likely due to the oil filter didn't have an anti drain back valve. Mopar gets their filters from whoever gives them the best price so never use a Mopar filter. I read that on a website in an article about filters. Think it was on Hughes Engines site but not positive. No idea why the oil pressure dropped though with Rotella.

I remember the old thread on OIL and did go to the Hughes site as well. They sell a nice oil filter. $14.00. Not sure about the additive though. They have other really good tech articles on their site too. Read the oil filter article as well. Good stuff.
imgStream.asp

After reading a few articles I went with Valvoline's VR-1 because I can get it at the local CarQuest. I bought a K&N filter but may switch the to Jomar eventually.

mullinax95 said:
After doing some research on the internet I found that the only product that has zinc in it made buy STP is STP Engine
Treatment With XEP2. That cost you $17.95. The $3 stuff which is STP Oil additive dose not state or to be found to have zinc. I believe the STP Oil additve falls under the PTEF catagory.

I have looked on the STP website and can't seem to find that they even have the engine treatment.

http://www.stp.com/index.html

But I did find that the STP Engine Treatment with XZEP2 have got themselves in trouble.

Here is the oil additive I have been using when I can't find SJ/SL rated diesel oil.
http://www.stp.com/oil_additives.html either the blue bottle or red bottle.

STP has been around for more than 30+ years the regular stuff in the blue or red bottle is not PTFE. Teflon as an oil additive only came on the seen in the past 10 years or so.

In the duster i use mobil 1 filters,shell rotella 15-40 and half a qt. of lucas oil treatment..

I forget the website but there was a video of lucas oil additive causing some major aeration (sp?). I will try to dig up the website.

yea i'm using a napa gold this time i didn't have a problem with 10-40 shell oil that was in it had a mobil filter i seen them moparfilters at walleyworld had to try em there heavy but i cut it in half the first inch is metal then a round metal screen and alot of paper

FWIW, most of the 15w-40 diesel oils are no going to the new diesel rating and the automotive SM rating. With the SM rating they won't have any more zinc than any other SM oil. Check the bottle if it is SJ or SL (without the SM) then that is the stuff you want.

dgc333 said:
FWIW, most of the 15w-40 diesel oils are no going to the new diesel rating and the automotive SM rating. With the SM rating they won't have any more zinc than any other SM oil. Check the bottle if it is SJ or SL (without the SM) then that is the stuff you want.

I used to run the diesel oil until this year when the changes to place. I'm now going to racing oil and more than likely it will be VR-1.

It is strange. I had a 68 Charger with a 383 for 14 years and ran just normal 10w-40 in it and never had a bit of cam failure or any other problem. The reason why is I didn't now a bit about zinc than the man in the moon. Just kept the oil changed like I suppose to. ???

Well there was plenty of ZDDP in oil up to the SM rated stuff appeared on the seen in 2005. So there was no reason to worry about it before.

HRDP_0606_10_z+flat_tappet_cam_tech+zddp_content_table.jpg

daves66valiant said:
I forget the website but there was a video of lucas oil additive causing some major aeration (sp?). I will try to dig up the website.

I saw that sight too, but I have always ran the stuff and have had no ill effects. The aeration would seem to be more of an issue at high rpms, where oiling is most important. I don't think it would be an issue for cruising or occasional racing. Besides, what were they turning their model to? Wasn't it well over what would be normal for even a racing engine, something like 15,000-20,000 rpm??? Also, I recall if they heated the oil or not, which I would think would change things up a bit. :toothy7:

FWIW, Since I wanted to make sure I was not nuts about STP having zinc in it I sent an email to STP and this is the response I got;

Dear Mr. Clement,

Thank you for contacting us about STP Oil Treatment - 4-Cylinder. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The STP Oil Treatment and STP Oil Treatment- 4 Cylinder both contain ZDDP as the anti wear agent. Both products were developed originally for flat tappet cam engines. I hope this information helps you.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

dgc333 said:
FWIW, Since I wanted to make sure I was not nuts about STP having zinc in it I sent an email to STP and this is the response I got;

Dear Mr. Clement,

Thank you for contacting us about STP Oil Treatment - 4-Cylinder. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The STP Oil Treatment and STP Oil Treatment- 4 Cylinder both contain ZDDP as the anti wear agent. Both products were developed originally for flat tappet cam engines. I hope this information helps you.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Patti Copper

Consumer Response Representative

Consumer Services

That's good to know but what is your opinion on additives causing sludge build up in engines?

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

"It's interesting to note that some race techs have reported sludge buildup in race engines as a result of aftermarket additives being used in conjunction with the regular oil. The chemical composition of the additives isn't as neutral as some companies would lead us to believe, and combined with particular types of oil and high-stress driving, they can cause oil breakdown and sludge to appear. The lesson from them appears to be "don't use additives". "

Now I might need to add that they say "particular types of oil and high-stress driving, they can cause oil breakdown and sludge " I guess high-stress driving would be considered burning some rubber and WOT every so often which I do so I don't know if I am sold on using any type of additive now since I read that. I never have used any additives and was going to recently to get the protection I need but now I'm paranoid of additives.

Well that article also says to not use diesel oil in a gas engine. But if you have a flat tappet cam shaft engine your choice is to use the reduced ZDDP SM oil or put in a can of additive. Everyone has been spreading the word on GM EOS as an additive or the stuff Comp and Crane are now marketing.

I mentioned STP because it's readily available and is not pricey and will provide the same benefit that the GM, Comp or Crane stuff will. I try to use oil with an SJ/SL rating and currently have 15w-40 Castrol synthetic diesel oil that is rated SJ/SL . Likelythe next time I go shopping for oil it will be upgrade to the new diesel rating with a car SM which means it will have reduced ZDDP. At that point I will likely go back to Mobil 1 and through in a bottle of STP.

i just did another oil/zinc search was on the mobil oil site you can ask ?'s there so i asked about zinc in oils the response was all motoroils still had zinc but that the mobil delvac heavyduty had the highest level of zinc so i asked if it was higher than shell they replied yes ya can check it out i know i still hadn't seen any facts every oil company has a differnt story there all the best just ask em

-
Back