Oil burn cloud on engine deceleration

-
Ohh, I added it up. it equals, $$$$.

Again, I could decided to stroke the 340. Go to something like a 416. Seems like those kits are $2500ish. Lots cheaper than 440 build.

My refrigerator just died as well, so I might be sitting on this for a while.

Never fails. Seems all the mechanical crap talks to each other and when one goes down, the tell each other just to screw you.

Two things. Can someone please explain to me how ring wash happens with an Eddy carb?

Second, would anyone advise on trying out a can of Seafoam before I rip this thing out of the car? FBBO had a similar discussion going and someone suggested Seafoam first to see if it was "stuck rings".

Two things. Can someone please explain to me how ring wash happens with an Eddy carb?

Second, would anyone advise on trying out a can of Seafoam before I rip this thing out of the car? FBBO had a similar discussion going and someone suggested Seafoam first to see if it was "stuck rings".

Highly unlikely it's stuck rings. Sea foam is cheap and easy to do.

Eddy's can boil fuel on hot days when you shut them off. Unless you had a major issue with a float level, stuck needle and seat or something, I doubt you washed the cylinder walls down. I haven't seen that it years, and most of the time the choke wasn't functioning and killed the rings.

Most likely the hone wasn't done correctly and you are now paying the price. Before I started building engines, the machinist I used honed my block incorrectly. I knew it was JUNK because it smoked for the first 25 minutes. His **** hone ripped the faces off the rings on start up. I learned how NOT to finish a bore from him.

A new engine should NOT smoke on fire up. If it does, the rings are probably toast.

Highly unlikely it's stuck rings. Sea foam is cheap and easy to do.

Eddy's can boil fuel on hot days when you shut them off. Unless you had a major issue with a float level, stuck needle and seat or something, I doubt you washed the cylinder walls down. I haven't seen that it years, and most of the time the choke wasn't functioning and killed the rings.

Most likely the hone wasn't done correctly and you are now paying the price. Before I started building engines, the machinist I used honed my block incorrectly. I knew it was JUNK because it smoked for the first 25 minutes. His **** hone ripped the faces off the rings on start up. I learned how NOT to finish a bore from him.

A new engine should NOT smoke on fire up. If it does, the rings are probably toast.
OK, lets play detective. The smoking started only once I put the PCV system in. Had it been a bad hone job I would have seen evidence of this earlier. (I have owned the vehicle for over a year now and I drive it as much as I can).

Another "clue" to think about. I had the carb "tuned" by a local carb shop at just about the same time I put in the PCV system. I'm not sure what they did to the carb.

How fast does it take fuel to wipe out rings?

My current AVS 800 Eddy will heat soak and boil a bit after a long run, but the Holley 750DP did as well long before. Either have never given an issue with soaking the cylinders and creating wash. Really sounds like an issue that started from the build, I know you said it only started after the PCV was installed. I think you have said you removed or disconnected it and yet the issue is still there. correct? Sounds like the PCV and carb Tune were just a coincidence to the real issue.

Time for a HellCrate upgrade!

I love that body style and miss my Bee!

Scan_Pic0006.jpg

Scan_Pic0004.jpg

My current AVS 800 Eddy will heat soak and boil a bit after a long run, but the Holley 750DP did as well long before. Either have never given an issue with soaking the cylinders and creating wash. Really sounds like an issue that started from the build, I know you said it only started after the PCV was installed. I think you have said you removed or disconnected it and yet the issue is still there. correct? Sounds like the PCV and carb Tune were just a coincidence to the real issue.

Time for a HellCrate upgrade!

I love that body style and miss my Bee!

View attachment 1715106708

View attachment 1715106709
Sucks that your car burnt down. Was it the ammeter? I had mine start to melt one day. Smelled it first, luckily I was close to home.

OK, lets play detective. The smoking started only once I put the PCV system in. Had it been a bad hone job I would have seen evidence of this earlier. (I have owned the vehicle for over a year now and I drive it as much as I can).

Another "clue" to think about. I had the carb "tuned" by a local carb shop at just about the same time I put in the PCV system. I'm not sure what they did to the carb.

How fast does it take fuel to wipe out rings?

IMHO, it takes a lot of fuel and time to wash the oil off the cylinder wall and take the rings out.

I guess it's possible if the tune up was bad, you could have had some detonation and lifted a ring land. Or, if the PCV valve did pull some oil into the chambers...that's the quickest way I know to knock 10-12% right off the top of HP, and lift the ring lands.

My best guess is it's a ring/piston issue. I've seen guys running a plug too hot for what they were doing, backside a piston and lose ring seal.
There's quite a few ways to kill ring seal.

Sucks that your car burnt down. Was it the ammeter? I had mine start to melt one day. Smelled it first, luckily I was close to home.

Actually a Holley issue I think (rear bowl suddenly flooded) that ultimately melted the fuel pressure line, the rest was history after that line gave way and sprayed fuel everywhere. Did not even push the clutch in and just hit the brakes and jumped out with lots of burnt arm hair! A bad day in my life for a week then the 69 383S popped up and still with me 33+ years later! I try to forget!

-
Back