Oil Capacity in my A100

-

Georgesee

Reaction score
I have a 65 A100 pickup with a 225 engine three speed tranny. I'm not sure how many quarts of oil it takes. Also, would there be any problems using a 5-30W synthetic in the engine? Thanks

5 quarts with filter change. Not sure on the oil...I'd stick with 10W30 or 10W40, but that's my opinion.

Also, would there be any problems using a 5-30W synthetic in the engine
It will come down to oil pressure.

My 273 with 150,000+ miles on its 1st rebuild will flicker the oil light when hot ideling with 30, with 40 no light flickering

As for the 5W Vs 10W, you're in San Diego the average temp is what 75 with a low of 74 and a high of 76.:rolleyes:

Here in Northern Colorado I can testify that 10W-30 is thick syrup at 20 degF

You would not have that issue where you are. But it won't hurt anything. To use 5W or 10W

The FSM calls for oil grade, check it out.
Free download at mymopar.com

Last edited:
Haven't dealt with an A100 before but I've had other trucks/vans with the/6 and these have always been 6 qts with filter.
Put 5 in, run it a minute, shut off and check with the dipstick. You'll either be OK or still 1qt low.
And as far as oil weight I wouldn't go below 10w30 or 10w40 but because of problems some experience with oil pump drive gear going bad (which is driven off of the camshaft and the cam gear eats itself as well when this happens) I wouldn't go any heavier either.
15w40 is also not needed. I definitely wouldn't run straight weight either.
10w30 or 10w40 would be my go to.

It will come down to oil pressure.

My 273 with 150,000+ miles on its 1st rebuild will flicker the oil light when hot ideling with 30, with 40 no light flickering

As for the 5W Vs 10W, you're in San Diego the average temp is what 75 with a low of 74 and a high of 76.:rolleyes:

Here in Northern Colorado I can testify that 10W-30 is thick syrup at 20 degF

You would not have that issue where you are. But it won't hurt anything. To use 5W or 10W

The FSM calls for oil grade, check it out.
Free download at mymopar.com
Thanks, Dana!

Haven't dealt with an A100 before but I've had other trucks/vans with the/6 and these have always been 6 qts with filter.
Put 5 in, run it a minute, shut off and check with the dipstick. You'll either be OK or still 1qt low.
And as far as oil weight I wouldn't go below 10w30 or 10w40 but because of problems some experience with oil pump drive gear going bad (which is driven off of the camshaft and the cam gear eats itself as well when this happens) I wouldn't go any heavier either.
15w40 is also not needed. I definitely wouldn't run straight weight either.
10w30 or 10w40 would be my go to.
5 quarts with filter change. Not sure on the oil...I'd stick with 10W30 or 10W40, but that's my opinion.
Thanks for the advice.

It depends on the specific truck
A 6 foot bed will hold 2244 quart and a 8 foot bed will hold 2992 quarts

As for oil, synthetic oil has a tendency to be a little "creepier" then conventional

So you may see leaks with synthetic in engines that don't leak with Dino oil

-
Back