Oil catch can installation

-

BuckeyeAlex

Reaction score
I've tried searching, but since the word "can" is too short for the search engine on here, I get 1000 threads with the word "catch" in it.

I have a 408 Magnum in my Dart, and when I bought it a few years ago, it had quite a few oil leaks. It had a crank evac setup and chambered Flowmasters, so I removed the evac setup and added a pcv valve on the passenger side and breather on the drivers side. That seemed to help a lot, but still had some small leaks. I assumed this was because the previous setup had already done the damage to the gaskets. I ended up pulling the motor and putting various new gaskets on this spring, no leaks for the first few drives. After I started getting comfortable with getting on it a little, drops came back. It's not every time I drive it, and I can't seem to figure out a pattern, but I've decided to add a catch can setup (still keeping the pcv as well).

Does anyone have any pics or advice on what you're using? If it helps more, it is a 408 Magnum crate motor bought through Jegs with less than 5k miles on it and is carbed.

I'm running a 408 Magnum based stroker with Edelbrock heads and factory based EFI on an Airgap intake. Not sure why you think a catch can will stop your oil leaks. They are typically used to remove oil from entering the intake through the PCV hose fitting due to poor valve cover baffling, excessive blow-by or too much flow through your PCV valve.

I installed an oil catch can in-line between the PCV and the intake port for what I thought was the first two reasons. Turns out, it was due to having the wrong oil pan gasket on my Magnum swap which leaves two large holes on either side of the timing cover cutout for air to enter at the front timing cover. I'm speculating that this was the reason: there was just too much air entering the motor right at the oil sump filling the incoming air with a heavy saturation of oil mist, which was sucked out at the PCV valve and into the intake.

When I had the incorrect oil pan gasket on the motor, it would fill the small container with oil in a week. Once I replaced the one-piece Magnum gasket with the correct gasket for my LA style pan, the catch can quit filling up with oil and only seems to be collecting a bit of moisture from the engine. After a few weeks, I am only able to collect half a shot glass of water from it, but not a drop of oil.

Here's a picture of my install of the water trap for an air compressor, which I used as a catch can; and a few pics of the original source of my oil/air leak.

Attachments

• oil trap.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 371
  • oil trap 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 294
  • Oil Pan pic.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Oil Pan Gaskets.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 267
Figured it might relieve a little more pressure. Could be totally wrong there.

Mine has a Kevko pan and I did use a Felpro one piece gasket when I replaced it. I have the same Mopar Magnum valve covers as you. I assume they're baffled, I've had them off a couple times but don't remember. I really need to narrow down exactly where the drops are still coming from, but due to my lack of free time and cold weather, I haven't had much of a chance to mess with the car. This is just something that popped into my head at work and figured I needed to kick myself in the *** and do something about it. Really hoping it doesn't involve pulling the motor again!

-
Back