oil change on my 360

-

Billbo

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wondering I placed a strong magnet in my oil filter to see how much debris it will collect. I didn't want to cut the filter apart so I just placed it just inside the filter at the top.
I have a few pics to show how much it collected. I am asking out there is the amount of metal collected at 5000 Kms normal? There are a few large slithers in there that I am querying. The magnified pics is the material wiped onto my finger.
Regards
Billy D...

20200527_142044.jpg

20200527_142754.jpg

20200527_142903.jpg

yeah, I don't much like those large slivers. I have been a big proponent of the FilterMag filter magnets. I've cut apart many filters and I've only found a fine, dark colored "fur", no large slivers. But, I've never run them on a fresh build, either.
Q1; did you do any grinding on the head or block that could possibly show up like this?
Q2; did you do the assembly on this short block, or long block?
Q3; how were the block and heads cleaned before assembly?

This is not a new engine. Its done about 27000 miles. The magnet always collects some material every oil change. I clean it and place back there with a new filter. It gives me an indication of whats going on. This time I see some larger than normal material on the magnet and it has me concerned. The only thing I can think of is that I replaced the dizzy with a brand new Jegs billet distributor and also replaced the distributor drive shaft with a brand new standard part. Maybe these parts have shed this material I see. The only thing I can do is check next time I do an oil change. The engine runs perfectly. No change has been detected and sounds the same.
Regards
Billy D...

That magnet is blocking 1/7th of your oil going into the filter. That’s a horrible place for a magnet and I’d stop sticking it there. That’s about a 14% reduction of flow of dirty oil to the filter. The filter can be a pretty big restriction in the system anyway and you’ve just caused a flow reduction for no reason.

If you are interested you can hook an oil pressure gauge up before the filter and another one after the filter and read the difference between the two. That difference is the pressure drop across the filter. The higher the difference in pressure, the more restrictive the filter is.

That said, if you are getting that much junk every time on the magnet, I’d be keeping an eye on anything cam related. And I’d get rid of the magnet and just cut the filter open. Or use a magnet like mentioned above and still cut the filter open.

That magnet is blocking 1/7th of your oil going into the filter. That’s a horrible place for a magnet and I’d stop sticking it there. That’s about a 14% reduction of flow of dirty oil to the filter. The filter can be a pretty big restriction in the system anyway and you’ve just caused a flow reduction for no reason.

you think he actually ran it like that?

i thought he only placed it there after pulling the filter off

i cant imagine that would seal like that

If you are interested you can hook an oil pressure gauge up before the filter and another one after the filter and read the difference between the two. That difference is the pressure drop across the filter. The higher the difference in pressure, the more restrictive the filter is.

That said, if you are getting that much junk every time on the magnet, I’d be keeping an eye on anything cam related. And I’d get rid of the magnet and just cut the filter open. Or use a magnet like mentioned above and still cut the filter open.
I buy those little high powered magnets and place them on the OUT side of the oil filter flat spot and cut the filter open to inspect

Last edited:
you think he actually ran it like that?

i thought he only placed it there after pulling the filter off

i cant imagine that would seal like that

So he put the magnet on there after pulling the filter and dumps the oil out over the magnet? Looks to me like he is running it that way.

So he put the magnet on there after pulling the filter and dumps the oil out over the magnet? Looks to me like he is running it that way.
you might be right, but I don't see it sealing that way

also, read his first post
he said he didn't want to cut the filter, so he used a magnet instead
sounds to me, this was a bit of an afterthought

I guess we'll wait for him to clarify

I'd start digging deeper. Pull the dizzy and look at that, and the intermediate shaft and the gear cut in the end of the cam which drives the quill, and look at the bushing, too.
Since they are magnetic slivers and flakes, I'd consider places where iron/steel would wear first. Pull the v. covers and make sure the rocker shafts are oriented properly. Look for more debris evidence. Try to examine the cam lobes. If anything looks suspicious, pull the rocker assemblies, & p-rods, and examine the lifters. Keep everything in order to simplify reassembly. Be prepared to pull the pan, too, if for no other reason, to clean it and the oil pickup.

Actually the magnet sits between the holes and just overlaps the holes a little. Secondly it doesn't seal the holes it sits up about a couple of mm over the holes. It doesnt sit flush. I have been doing this since new and oil pressure has never dropped. The motor is well looked after and has not been subjected to race conditions. I have checked the preload on my lifters and none were out of adjustment after almost 7 years. I had 1/2 turn preload put in and 1/2 turn preload they still have. I have feeling that the new intermediate shaft and maybe the distributor could of had some burrs that have worn in There is nothing I can do at the moment. I will just wait and see at the next service. By the way will it be the same if I just put a strong magnet on the sump plug instead?
Regards
Billy D

get yourself some little honing stones, and use them to deburr the gear teeth. Machinists use them to fine tune the edges of cutting tools, and eliminate raised burrs on otherwise flat machined surfaces. They are really cheap, and very useful for lots of things.

What you see on my finger is the total amount gathered from the magnet not just a sample. I hope next oil change I will not see this again. I managed to get a magnetic drain plug and have left the magnet out of the filter. New filter and new 20w50 oil. We shall see. It is what it is.
Regards
Billy D...

What you see on my finger is the total amount gathered from the magnet not just a sample. I hope next oil change I will not see this again. I managed to get a magnetic drain plug and have left the magnet out of the filter. New filter and new 20w50 oil. We shall see. It is what it is.
Regards
Billy D...
curious. why 20w 50? oil pressure issues?

I have always run 20w50. Here in Australia we run these oils. Pressure has never changed since new. 60 psi hot.

-
Back