Oil coolers - which one?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Who is running an oil cooler? How did you decide on the size/dimensions/number of rows?

Did you mount it to the radiator or somewhere else?

Did you ever have leaks or pressure loss issues?

Thanks!

Not making a recommendation other than telling you what I use for a trans cooler which sees higher pressures obviously. It’s a Derale Atomic Cool remote mount w/fan. Solid construction, no leakage or stress cracks etc. Very happy with it.

What I have:

15 Row Atomic Cool Plate & Fin Remote Transmission Cooler Kit, -6AN

For engine:

15 Row Atomic Cool Plate & Fin Remote Engine Oil Cooler Kit, -8AN
Thanks! Looks like a good starting point…
How does one determine the size needed? Are they still useful without a fan?

Thanks! Looks like a good starting point…
How does one determine the size needed? Are they still useful without a fan?
I have mine mounted flat, parallel with and on the outside of the unibody frame rail of my limited room van so definitely needed the fan version and it was the biggest they offered for the $$ I wanted to spend. For sizing there seems to be plenty of info out there:

Choosing and Using Engine Oil Coolers - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

Well the question is, did you see a noticeable change in temps after fitting the engine oil cooler?

The power steering cooler I added in my ‘74 Dodge PowerWagon works very good. I noticed the line temperatures were hot after I installed the Hydroboost brake unit. Before the install, the fluid was getting 160-180 degrees. You couldn’t touch the metal part of the lines. Now the fluid runs about 100 degrees. Feels only warm to the touch. I don’t have a gauge but I verified the temperatures with a handheld digital temp gun.
I imagine an engine oil cooler would work well. But I’d probably want -12 AN inlet & outlets. If I decide to run a remote oil filter on my truck, I won’t go smaller than -12 feed and return lines.

86BDECEE-64CA-46FE-94D7-EF56F7B3C9C0.jpeg

EC0FCD3C-2FFC-49D7-BB86-8BA4233F5EE5.jpeg

88315C7D-CCC4-46D1-ADD5-9B1B55DEA7DB.jpeg

A56D0318-91C6-4C8C-9687-2FAB2CEE0603.jpeg

The power steering cooler I added in my ‘74 Dodge PowerWagon works very good. I noticed the line temperatures were hot after I installed the Hydroboost brake unit. Before the install, the fluid was getting 160-180 degrees. You couldn’t touch the metal part of the lines. Now the fluid runs about 100 degrees. Feels only warm to the touch. I don’t have a gauge but I verified the temperatures with a handheld digital temp gun.
I imagine an engine oil cooler would work well. But I’d probably want -12 AN inlet & outlets. If I decide to run a remote oil filter on my truck, I won’t go smaller than -12 feed and return lines.

View attachment 1716048896

View attachment 1716048897

View attachment 1716048898

View attachment 1716048899

What's your opinion of the Hydroboost?

What's your opinion of the Hydroboost?
I don’t have anything bad to say about it. Works great for me. Stops the truck in a hurry. I recommend. They do make a big brake kit for a Dana 60 front axle with 14” rotors, but I feel that I do not need that.

Thanks, I've got one here to go into a customers car, so it's good to get some feedback on it.
Have you tried the brakes with the pump belt off?

Have you tried the brakes with the pump belt off?

Have I tried the brakes with the pump belt off?

HMMM… the power steering pump also drives the fluid for the booster. So in a since, are you asking to see how the brakes work without the booster being fed fluid ran by the pump.

I haven’t tried that, but that little charged canister on the side of the booster is “supposed” to give you “boosted” power for a couple pumps to get you stopped.

I don’t mind trying that little experiment, I do have an open country road right by my house. But I’m sure it’ll also be difficult to steer those big tires, maybe not so much since I’ll be rolling to a stop…. I don’t know, I’ll try something. LOL…

Yeah, I wondered about how it would work with no power assist, considering the street car it's going into makes north of 1000hp NA

-
Back