Oil dipstick length

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I'm in the final stages of getting my engine ready to drop in and I'm wondering if the dipstick is correct. I just thought of this now, I already put oil up to the level on the dipstick.

But im wondering if the dipstick would be different depending on the oil pan? The engine is a 360, with a moroso 8 quart oil pan does an 8 quart pan mean it needs 8 quarts of oil? I took the dipstick off of my old 318 with a stock car oil pan.

Would the dipstick be different? or are the "add and full" lines incorrect? The dipstick goes into the pan without hitting or interfering with the pan, and the dipstick tube goes in all the way. I think it will work, but just making sure.

the stock one will work fine , changing the oil pan has nothing to do with the oil level.

Just how much the pan holds

Anyone know how long the stick portion should be? not the tube, but the stick? I have a feeling mine is off. I put 5 quarts in my 360 with the car oil pan and it was barely touching the tip of the stick.

This is a factory original out of one of my 360's it measures 20 1/2 inches from the end of the handle to the tip. I also measured an aftermarket chrome one I have from another 360 I have and it measures the same 20 1/2 inches.

Attachments

• DS.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 389
Most guys run a quart low on these pans. I know I do.

First fill up I put 6.5 Quarts in the 7 quart Milodon. Yes I know yours is a Moroso but same concept. I then prime the engine. Let it rest for a bit. Then I cut the dipstick tube down so it shows FULL with 6.5 Quarts. The other 1/2 Quart is for the filter. So pan has 6 quarts in it.

This on the Milodon Pan helps with windage, froth and foaming of the oil. Probably same with Moroso.

Always go off of how many quarts you put in it. Not the dipstick markings. I have never seen one that is correct. This is why I cut the tube down.

Anyone know how long the stick portion should be? not the tube, but the stick? I have a feeling mine is off. I put 5 quarts in my 360 with the car oil pan and it was barely touching the tip of the stick.

I've seen tubes and dip sticks that were different lengths. You have to make sure that they match.

I've seen tubes and dip sticks that were different lengths. You have to make sure that they match.

I guess the most accurate means of reference would be to have a dimension of how far into the block the dipstick extends.

I guess the most accurate means of reference would be to have a dimension of how far into the block the dipstick extends.

None of that matters if you got 6-7-8 quarts in it and it reads wrong on the dip stick.

My point is after you KNOW how much oil YOU put in the motor and how much it's supposed to hold, You need to verify it reads correct on the dip stick. If you need to cut the dip stick tube for it to be accurate then do so. I use a break line pipe cutter to lopp the tube down, simple and easy.

Perfect example that the tube needs to be cut down. If you keep filing it with oil to reach your full mark, as is, your crankshaft will be swimming in oil. This is Not good!

-
Back