Oil filter adapter clocking

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just installed a set of exhaust manifolds from fabo member Treblig. I have to reclock my oil filter adapter to account for the new position of the ps exhaust exit.

I just want to confirm that thae adaptor will still work correctly when clocked anywhere in a 360 degree arc.

I know, probably a silly question, but one I'd hate to be wrong about and not ask!

Thanks,

CE

if you take a look at the backside of the adapter, and the machined area of the block it will be clear that however you install it will do fine

there is one hole in the block which pumps oil into the "cavity", through the adapter and into the filter
then there is the center bolt which allows the filtered oil to re-enter the block

the way the whole thing is designed you can clock it however you want
but, to beat the rush, I'm sure some members will tell you to get a plate instead
(should have better oil flow, IF you drill a few extra holes and chamfer all of them)

in my opinion, the read advantage of a plate over the adapter is that you will be using 1 gasket, instead of three
and, if you do decide to clock it, I would fully expect the existing gasket to tear, so be sure to remove the adapter, clean both mating surfaces and install all three gaskets....in the right order

Thank you. Yeah it looks like it'll work at any angle and i felt kind of stupid asking, but i figured better safe than sorry.

Yeah the (NEW!) Gasket set ripped while removing the elbow so I'll have napa order up a new set for me.

If i remember correctly, of the two small gaskets, the thin one goes under the head of the stud and the fat cork one goes on the body of the stud between the adapter body and the block, right?

Thanks again!

if you take a look at the backside of the adapter, and the machined area of the block it will be clear that however you install it will do fine

there is one hole in the block which pumps oil into the "cavity", through the adapter and into the filter
then there is the center bolt which allows the filtered oil to re-enter the block

the way the whole thing is designed you can clock it however you want
but, to beat the rush, I'm sure some members will tell you to get a plate instead
(should have better oil flow, IF you drill a few extra holes and chamfer all of them)

in my opinion, the read advantage of a plate over the adapter is that you will be using 1 gasket, instead of three
and, if you do decide to clock it, I would fully expect the existing gasket to tear, so be sure to remove the adapter, clean both mating surfaces and install all three gaskets....in the right order

Thank you. Yeah it looks like it'll work at any angle and i felt kind of stupid asking, but i figured better safe than sorry.

Yeah the (NEW!) Gasket set ripped while removing the elbow so I'll have napa order up a new set for me.

If i remember correctly, of the two small gaskets, the thin one goes under the head of the stud and the fat cork one goes on the body of the stud between the adapter body and the block, right?

Thanks again!

Correct.

-
Back