?Oil filter adapter plate fitting gaskets?

-

MICHAEL J KLOCK

Reaction score
The oil filter adapter plate gasket set comes with 1 large round fiber gasket for the plate and 2 round gaskets for the 3/4-16 fitting. ( one large cork type and one thin fiber) My after market MOPAR SB engine assemble book shows the rebuilder NOT using the small round gaskets on the fitting. ( see photo) He just uses Loctite on the threads and torques to 30ft/lbs. Now I've installed all three on my engine and torqued the fitting to 30ft lbs. The plate leaks from the large gasket to the block. If I don't use the small gaskets on the fitting the plate doesn't leak. Does the thick cork go behind the fitting to the block face?

Thanks! Mike

IMG_2993.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

The oil filter adapter plate gasket set comes with 1 large round fiber gasket for the plate and 2 round gaskets for the 3/4-16 fitting. ( one large cork type and one thin fiber) My after market MOPAR SB engine assemble book shows the rebuilder NOT using the small round gaskets on the fitting. ( see photo) He just uses Loctite on the threads and torques to 30ft/lbs. Now I've installed all three on my engine and torqued the fitting to 30ft lbs. The plate leaks from the large gasket to the block. If I don't use the small gaskets on the fitting the plate doesn't leak. Does the thick cork go behind the fitting to the block face?

Thanks! Mike

View attachment 1715369595

View attachment 1715369596

DE760E23-D7F6-4C84-92A4-8F9BC04275C4.jpeg

No it replaced the flat leaking adapter plate you have shown in your picture. But It can also replace the 90 degree adapter.

The three gasket set is ONLY for the 90 degree adapter, not the straight on version you have.

Correct. One large gasket on the block. Then the plate. Then the bolts/fitting. The bolt/fitting should snug up the plate to the block so when you remove the oil filter everything should stay in place. The bolt/fitting needs to hold the plate in place. If it doesn't snug the plate to the block something it wrong. Plate bent.... bolt/fitting bottoming out.

-
Back