oil filter prob...

-

340wedge1971

Reaction score
rebuilt 318,started motor,oil coming from filter plate,should there be a gasket in there?Not using oil filter adapter,just stock filter set-up...

Stock filter location so no 90 degree? should just be a gasket on the filter. Is it a class 1-WET 2-Forms a drip or 3-steady stream? obviously its been rebuilt so the old O ring isnt there. I had a Class 2 on my ford explorer, could not get it to stop. cleaned it , tried tightening it more nothing helped. Threw the Bosch filter away put on a Fram. No problems. See if the o ring has any gouges or cuts in it.

There is a gasket between the filter plate and the block, then the filter goes on and it has its own gasket built into the filter.

Well,i think i found the answer to my own question...this is the set-up i have,i see that there is a gasket thats supposed to be there...

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaa.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 198
Well,i think i found the answer to my own question...this is the set-up i have,i see that there is a gasket thats supposed to be there...
There should be a smaller round gasket as well that fits around the piece that threads into the block. Smaller gasket goes on block side of the oil filter adapter plate. All the kits ive ordered had both.

There should be a smaller round gasket as well that fits around the piece that threads into the block. Smaller gasket goes on block side of the oil filter adapter plate. All the kits ive ordered had both.

I never use the smaller gasket, never had a leak either. I think it is used as a spacer not really a gasket. You get more bite on the gasket that causes leaks without using it.

-
Back