Oil filter question

-

swinger

Reaction score
Rookie question...
I'm building a 318, and don't know what kind of an adapter I need in order to mount the oil filter to the block. I'm not looking for the 90 degree adapter, just whatever I need for a straight connection. What am I looking for, and where can I find it? Thanks!

I am pretty sure it is a junk yard only part, common to any small block.
When you remove the oil filter there is a threaded part that the filter screws to.
Unscrew it also holds a plate to the block. Remove the plate.
Dont forget to buy a new gasket for the plate.

If you need one send me a PM. I think I have 5 or 6 of them, and I never use them. My car needs the 90' adapter so they are not doing me any good.

Rookie question...
I'm building a 318, and don't know what kind of an adapter I need in order to mount the oil filter to the block. I'm not looking for the 90 degree adapter, just whatever I need for a straight connection. What am I looking for, and where can I find it? Thanks!

Be forewarned the factory-style mount plates are pretty flimsy and prone to leaking... I got one for the 360 I built and when I went to prime the oil the first time it GUSHED out around the oil filter (big mess). And yes I put it on correctly with no gasket under the stud, only the perimeter of the plate.

Canton Racing Products makes a very nice billet mount plate with an O-ring seal, I put one on my engine and it works great (as in works, period LOL). Also has double the holes for better oil flow.

OK, so now I'm looking for tips on a leak free installation.... My gasket kit seems to have 4 potential choices (see picture). The large ones are either rubber or composite, and the small ones are either composite or cork. What do I use, where exactly do I use it, do I apply any sealant to one or both sides, and how tight do I torque the threads?

Attachments

• gaskets.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 154
I'm assuming the stud has a square hole to fit a 3/8" ratchet drive? If so be sure to screw the stud in so that part is INTO the block, not sticking out; if you have the square hole on the outside you'll break the stud when you go to unscrew it (don't ask me how I know ARGHH lol).

First off try to make sure the plate is as flat as possible around the outer edge. Use the thicker outer gasket and no inner one; just leave that one out. Also you may try drilling 4 extra holes in the plate to increase oil flow, but this may warp the plate (someone else have any tips for this?) and make it hard to seal unless you're careful and use a press. Also apply a little gasket sealant to both sides of the outer gasket, and a little thread sealant to the part of the stud that goes into the block.

I'm sure others can chime in with more tips....

I'd go rubber and cork.......there is such a thing as too tight with this.
make sure not to over torque and deform the plate.
Unless the composite is somewhat soft , I like the rubber because it will have an easier time filling imperfections or small gaps.
Same with cork , though it shouldn't be an issue.
Outer gasket , plate , cork , stud.
That ought to do it.
The stud has a hex on the outside if I am not cuckoo......I have a new one with the Canton plate that I will not be using and just haven't gotten around to listing it yet.
Opening up or adding holes won't hurt , but you don't need any more area that the port from the pump to the filter will flow , so it isn't a " must have ".

-
Back