oil filter size

-
You wonder at what point does all that media get in the way? At what point would you rather a little bit of dirty oil getting through as opposed to no oil?..
Food for thought...
Different filters have different flow specs. The Wix 51515 racing filter is a higher flow than a standard Wix... There are specs available for most name brand filters.

If you check the pressure drop across the smaller filter after a thousand miles (maybe sooner) you’d do what you can to fit the biggest filter you can. Small filters are more restrictive.
I run the 2 quart size FL299 on the 351M in my truck and on my slant six in Vixen.
After some research about pressure drop etc it seems this makes perfect sense. I've got plenty of room to run a pretty big *** filter after going to an as least restrictive as I can fab remote filter mount system. Going from the short version to a filter almost double in height:

IMG_5486.jpg

If you're worried about flow in the WIX, then take your favorite size filter number and add the "XP" suffix to it. It has synthetic filter media and is intended for extended oil change intervals, in other words, it plugs up slower.

my money says that the OP doesn't have a 90 degree adapter, but he's keeping it a secret...

After some research about pressure drop etc it seems this makes perfect sense. I've got plenty of room to run a pretty big *** filter after going to an as least restrictive as I can fab remote filter mount system. Going from the short version to a filter almost double in height:

View attachment 1716095733
It's just something I picked up from working on big trucks. The old guy I worked for ran an extra large capacity oil filter on all his personal vehicles.

However old you are is how long you ain't figured it out. So there's that.
I had it figured out from the very beginning, it's a easy fix,like someone said use a remote oil filter. A 90* degree oil filter adapter could be made to work as well by reworking the floor pan. Sometimes one has to study the situation.

I had it figured out from the very beginning, it's a easy fix,like someone said use a remote oil filter. A 90* degree oil filter adapter could be made to work as well by reworking the floor pan. Sometimes one has to study the situation.
You got a car yet?..

i like a motrocraft FL1-A, Ford AFL-1 in Australia i have space so its not a problem, if i didn't i'd run the 90* adapter or a remote filter head so i could run one. the anti drain back works (for horizontal mounting) the mounting is a machined threaded boss rather than a "pressed in and tapped" hole..basically somone put some effort in to make a filter that is cut above, on areas you can see, and it has a bit of weight to it, so i live in hope that they did the same on the internals.

-
Back