Oil filter "stand pipe" question

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
'74 Dart, 225 /6, A904. My oil filter mount has a "pipe" sticking up out of where the oil filter screws down. Would the "standard/regular" oil filter be correct or is this something special requiring a taller oil filter? The reason I ask is because my new oil filter sure seemed hard to screw on. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Member Crackedback has posted a Wix oil filter thread. The "standard" filter for a '74 motor would be the shorter filter Wix 51068 or a "16". If you have a longer stand pipe, either the motor has been changed out or a different oil pump has been installed. Earlier slants need the longer 1 quart filter Wix 51515 or an "8" because they have the longer stand pipe. I believe 1972 was the changeover year.

Great info Bruce. I have an side draft engine from a Cortez MH that has the tall stand pipe but all my 70s A body cars that were sixes had the short one.

I also read somewhere, Allpar I believe, that the newer slants won't fill up a tall filter and you should use the "shorty". I don't know how much truth to that. I still use the long ones on both.

Can you define "tall" and "short" or post a pic? I'm used to seeing just a threaded boss about an inch high on an oil filter mount. But as I've mentioned in other posts, this is my first Dodge slant. My oil pump looks like this, with 6 bolt holes.

Attachments

• OilPump.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 239
Can you define "tall" and "short" or post a pic? I'm used to seeing just a threaded boss about an inch high on an oil filter mount. But as I've mentioned in other posts, this is my first Dodge slant. My oil pump looks like this, with 6 bolt holes.

Your picture is the early pump which requires the tall filter. The newer version of the pump has a short threaded nipple about an inch long. Ebay has some of the newer pumps listed. You can look at them to see the difference.

Thanks guys! The more I work with this car, the more I find out little things that lead me to believe that it's been worked over by somebody.

-
Back