Oil filters....which one to use?

-
wix, k&n. carquest and napa are wix as well. wix has 3 sizes for our small blocks 51515, 51068, 51085.

i will take new frams and smash them with hammers before i install them.

totaly agreed I hand them out all day long. they seem to be good quality, also I dont know if this matters but they are made by mobil dont know whitch line of mobil. the only thing I dont like is how they dont make a longer filter equivelent to the fram ph8a's but the 5281090 filters are still good in my book

Unfornately mopar filters are made by the lowest bidder, at one time that was Fram.

Aso note Mobil doesn't make oil filters, theirs are made by Champion Labs
totaly agreed I hand them out all day long. they seem to be good quality, also I dont know if this matters but they are made by mobil dont know whitch line of mobil. the only thing I dont like is how they dont make a longer filter equivelent to the fram ph8a's but the 5281090 filters are still good in my book

Oil filters are like toilet paper.......the more paper you have the better cleaning it does! In fact, remember in the 1970's the rage was to install toilet paper oil filters. My cousin had one on his 383 Magnum 'Cuda and it worked very well. The oil was always crystal clear and every 2,000 miles you changed the toilet paper and added a quart of new oil.

Would that thing clear my headers? :shock:

I had a filter once on a drag car that was called System One. It had a stainless mesh filter inside a alum housing that you could clean and reuse. That way you could see what was going through you motor. I haven't seen one in years but I love mine.

Some the case is so thin, its very easy to poke a tiny hole while tightening the filter with a warp around wench.

You never ever use a wrench to tighten an oil filter, hand tight only. It is just a matter of time before you won't be able to get the filter off.

I use Jomar. They don't use a bypass valve. Complete filtration "all the time".

That's a good way to ruin your engine, it's better to have un-filtered oil than no oil. The bypass is there to protect the engine at cold start up or when the filter plugs up by allowing oil to continue to flow to the engine.

I am about to crank up my 360 for the first time (after rebuild). It has the oil filter adapter (90*) and I bought a filter I think fits it. It is a Wix 51515. Is this the correct one? If it is, it is the same one that fits my Slant Six.

bwhitejr

You never ever use a wrench to tighten an oil filter, hand tight only. It is just a matter of time before you won't be able to get the filter off.

I second that, hand tight only or its not going to come off later.

it will work as long as there is room for it.

I am about to crank up my 360 for the first time (after rebuild). It has the oil filter adapter (90*) and I bought a filter I think fits it. It is a Wix 51515. Is this the correct one? If it is, it is the same one that fits my Slant Six.

bwhitejr

I run a Napa Gold (Wix) 1348 or Wix P/N 51348 which is the filter for the V6 Dakota and Neons. It is smaller and easier to get to with the headers and there is no need for that leaky adaptor. Baldwin, Fleetguard, Wix, Purolator Pure One, Donaldson, Amsoil (Which are made by Donaldson) and Mobil are probably the best filters out there. If you buy a Cummins truck you have a list of approved filters that you must use.....if you don't and there is a failure cause by the filter it's on you. Most filters aren't up to snuff and the media disinegrates under the higher pressures and will clog oil passages. Filters are just as important as oil if not more important. The toilet paper filters are alive and well under the Frantz name:

http://www.wefilterit.com/

They are meant to be used as a bypass filter not as a full flow filter.....they have a following with the diesel crowd because they offer extended drain intervals but you should use oil analysis to confirm the extended intervals.

...the 1970's the rage was to install toilet paper oil filters.
Actually, that started in the 30s when "bypass" (correct terminology) filters were the only type filters used on automotive engines. Not until much later did they (oil company shills?) convince the car makers to start using "full flow" filters, eventually instituting the now common "oil change" ritual. Let the oil get dirty, change it.

Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets dirty and suffers additive depletion. The top of my Duster's bypass filter, a Motorguard, containing a roll of toilet paper, can be seen in the lower right corner of the avatar.

Some things never change. The best way to filter motor oil (using a bypass filter with toilet paper element - cellulose) is one of those things.

Ace is exactly right.....celluose is at the top of the list for filter material followed closely by synthetic cellose material. Well oil does wear out but it wear out cause the additive package goes away over time and the all the dirt and crap suspended in it along with the heat starts to break it down. But with perfect filtration we'd never have to change oil.

-
Back