Oil fouled carburetor...

-

RunarStock

Reaction score
Hello again good people.
Today I took a first glance at my carburetor, Qft Slayer, not sure about the number. I'm brand new to all this DIY regarding old cars, and I really don't know much about everything thats going on down there. But I try to learn, and I do read a quite a bit, but there's alot to take in and I might not be too systematic about it :)

So today I find that my carb is oil fouled. But only half of it. The venturis and butterflies are pitch black with oil (wiped them off a bit before pic), while the other two are nice and shiny. May I be right in my suspicion that this oil comes from the PCV? Is there an easy cure? I notice a small oil leak around the PCV grommet if I wiggle it.

The PCV is supposed to be open when there's no difference in pressure on either sides of it? There's a very light spring action if I try to depress the valve plate further, but the first 1/5ish inch it just wobbles freely.

I think that's all for now.
Thanks

20160522_162415.jpg

20160522_161914.jpg

That appears to be dry soot, not oil. Unless it is wet and slimy, which it appears not to be, it is soot.

Maybe a little soot is normal, but not that much. Looks like it is running rich. That means too much fuel. If you go on the Holley site, they have tuning videos that can tell you how to tune a Holley carburetor and what to do in the proper ORDER. That is very important. Failure to make adjustments in the right order will throw it all off.

Not trying to blow you off......but by going to the Holley site, you cut out the middleman and you have a much better chance at getting it right. Here is the link to their videos. Scroll through them and find the one that best describe initial tuning and go from there.

Carburetor Installation And Tuning Blog Posts - Page 1

It does smell like engine oil, and its moist, wipes off easily and not dry, unlike in the right of the picture where its dry and sooty.
But I do second that of carb adjustment, previous owner ran it rich enough cause eye burning behind the wheel...

Poor ignition profile, especially at idle may be the cause.

-
Back