Oil in exhaust

-

sdahmer

Reaction score
So I'm having smoke issues with my '72 Dart 318 putting out a lot of smoke under heavy load and when letting off such as on an off-ramp. Smells like burnt oil and has a bit of a blue hue to it. Getting about 18 MPG and it pulls a steady 20 in Hg at idle (around 800 RPM) Oil 50psi @ 2000 RPM Pretty much stock besides dual exhaust. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

do you have aftermarkit valve covers ?? if so did you put the baffle in the bottem?? i not valve seals/guides we might need a little more info .

No aftermarket stuff besides the exhaust. Engine runs strong, not sure on mileage since it could've rolled over, but it reads 75k. Could someone recommend a good compression gauge or will any do?

I can floor it with no smoke but as soon as I let off the gas it starts smoking.

I can floor it with no smoke but as soon as I let off the gas it starts smoking.

If wild&crazy diagnosis is correct, then valve stem seals should be an easy fix. Make sure you get the right seals though, there was a thread on here where someone got the wrong type. Good luck and keep us posted.

After reading up a bit I'm gonna try doing it myself with the heads on.

If it is only on deceleration, you should also look into a leaky intake gasket. Pull all of the plugs and look for one that is somewhat oil fouled. If there is an intake leak, it will most likely be on the intake/exhaust port near that cylinder.

This has happened to me on a few occasions. If it smokes on acceleration, then it may be the rings after all.

-
Back