Oil leak around steering column at inside firewall

-

BuzzardBoys68

Reaction score
Just managed to get my '68 Cuda running today after more than five years sitting (thanks to OUTLAW's help), and after running for about half an hour, checking things out, I discovered a leak up under the dash dripping onto the floorpan. It is comming from around the steering column (the column bracket that mounts to the main steering column firewall plate). What the...?! Is there a seal there dried out and gone bad? Never seen this before on this car, and it's gone through some pretty lengthy down-time before.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Doesn't feel, look or smeel like brake fluid. And, besides, I have even touched the brake pedal! Any other thoughts?

Okay, went out right after my last post and fired it up. Been about 30 minutes and the leak is not showing up again. Hmmmmm... Doesn't answer WHY it did in the first place, though. Still looking for ideas. Thanks.

I would clean all that u can up an fire her off again an watch the area that u saw the most of the problem from,hopefully in the end find the problem
Good luck
MIKE

All right, check that. Been idling since 7:35p (so an hour plus) and I just had some drips. I'm pretty sure it IS brake fluid (thinner than oil, more acrid smelling - Dad even dabbed it on his tounge! HE says it's brake fluid). So, this is INSIDE, and there is no visible leakeage in the engine compartment. It isn't visible anywhere except on the steering column mounting bracket at the firewall. Where's it coming from?!

its prob a leak from yur master cylinder,u can replace it as a hole or find out whats wrong with it,whats the breaks feel like?are they still good or what?
MIKE

Well, the Cuda's currently up on stands - I haven't even touched the brake pedal. So, I'll check that out tomorrow. Think it's a seal leak at the firewall, and is sneakily finding it's way down to the column?! Arrghh!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post back, (prob'ly not til Wednesday) let ya' know what I find.

Yeah, the m/c rod boot had a little "puddle" in it and leaked down to the steering column. Didn't / couldn't see it at first. Obviously need to address that. Thanks for the input everybody.

You probably already know this, but there is a rubber seal that slips over the push rod and snaps into a groove. I had to replace the push rod on my '74 Dart Sport, because it was rusted and pitted badly.

Jerry

Haven't actually gotten into investigating what is exactly wrong, yet. I am still working through the "big picture", and what steps I want to take and in what order. (This kinda leads into a new thread which oughta be put into the Brakes forum, sorry...)

Here's the new thread:
Transitional setup?

-
Back