Oil Leak at Filter

-

SLC Duster Dude

Reaction score
I have been fighting an issue for a week now. 360 LA (74-79) that is gushing oil at the filter location. I had a remote plate on it when I bought it and it was fine. Then I bought new headers and when I put it back on it leaked. Off and on several times and then I bought a new remote kit. It leaked as well. On and off 3 times and then I got it to stop...and the next startup it was leaking again. Pulled it off and decided to just put a filter on it. Hand tighten a Fram PH16...it gushed oil. Tighten it more, gush oil. Remove and replace it with an STP filter...still gushing. Tighten it with an oil filter wrench...still leaking. I have inspected the base on the block and it has no damage and is clean. What am I missing?

Pictures, leaking between plate and block or filter and plate, 90* adapter?

Pictures, leaking between plate and block or filter and plate, 90* adapter?
No 90° adapter. And are you saying there is a plate between the block and the filter? Does it screw on as well? I thought the filter screwed to the block. I don't have someone to watch where it's coming from and I don't know if you could tell exactly if I did have someone.

No 90° adapter. And are you saying there is a plate between the block and the filter? Does it screw on as well? I thought the filter screwed to the block. I don't have someone to watch where it's coming from and I don't know if you could tell exactly if I did have someone.

Yup, you need one of these (not my photo). and a gasket. Alternative would be the canton racing plate which has an O ring and is made from aluminum. www.cantonracingproducts.com - 22-575 - SB MOPAR BILLET ALUMINUM FILTER PLATE
20140816_192801-jpg.205258.jpg

I was going to post a picture but you beat me to it, anyway make sure the gaskets surfaces are clean and new gaskets when you reassemble.

I had to use a Canton oil filter plate 22-575 and fixed my leak problem due to high volume pump.

Just to put a finish to this I bought a new factory style paper gasket and replaced the cork one that was there. I'm not sure if the original gaskets were cork, but this one was. Anyway, it still leaked. I went ahead and ordered the Canton aluminum plate and all is well. Oh, and I picked up another 6psi in oil pressure. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
And a set of these from Mancini Racing, or wherever.
Bunch of parts houses will have em usually.
Mopar Performance Replacement Oil Filter Adapter Gasket
Item #: MOPP5249320

gasket-11.gif

Yup, you need one of these (not my photo). and a gasket. Alternative would be the canton racing plate which has an O ring and is made from aluminum. www.cantonracingproducts.com - 22-575 - SB MOPAR BILLET ALUMINUM FILTER PLATEView attachment 1715148427
Question... I'm installing a Canton oil filter adapter and Canton oil plate. From there I will run my lines to the new remote oil filter location. I need to know what and where I can get a "connector" bolt to mount the plate and oil adapter to the block. I purchased one thinking it was the right one but it was too short (on one end, going into the block). It only gave me two threads. Both ends were the same length, about 5/8" long. Canton didn't send me one with either the oil plate or the adapter......

-
Back