Oil level question

-

kiss

Reaction score
The Dart has a recently stock-rebuild 360. I have a mid sump new stock replacement pan, the good quality Milodon one, not the cheapies on ebay. I noticed after the first oil change (5 quarts) that the oil on the dipstick shows about 1/3 of a quart low.

I am using the short filters, no 90 degree adapter. Also the dipstick is a new stock replacement one, not the cheapie chrome ones or anything.

I changed the oil again last week and after 5 quarts the dipstick shows about 1/3 of a quart low again.

My question is do I go with the current dipstick reading or re-mark it? I'm wondering if anyone has one of the stock replacement Milodon pans? Maybe they're slightly deeper or different shape? Maybe the new replacement dipstick is a little off?

Since 1/3 of a quart will not hurt it either way, fill it until the dipstick reads full.

Since 1/3 of a quart will not hurt it either way, fill it until the dipstick reads full.

Dang I find myself agreeing with this guy a lot lately. :D
(Unless the dipstick is wrong for the motor)
Better to be a third under than a third over in my own special opinion.

But, it's only a third of a quart so,

Next time you do your oil change, fire it up and warm it up. Then let it sit overnight. Check what it says on the stick. Where ever that is, MARK THE STICK IN THAT SPOT. That is your oil level.

Dipsticks and dipstick tubes vary.

Always check and correct your own dipstick.

Hell, I don't even use a dipstick.

The Dart has a recently stock-rebuild 360. I have a mid sump new stock replacement pan, the good quality Milodon one, not the cheapies on ebay.

this just might be the funniest thing i ever read

IMHO milodon is absolute garbage

but yellowrose is right, put the right amount of oil in there and mark the stick accordingly

a stock oil pan (speaking of OEM mopar here) will have a guide welded into the inside that the dispstick travel through
your "good qaulity" milodon does not

just one more thing to consider

the truck version that came with my 360 did...maybe its only on rear sumps

I think it's only the rear sump pans because the sump is further back and the stick itself is longer. Without a guide, the stick would be swinging in the breeze.

Next time you do your oil change, fire it up and warm it up. Then let it sit overnight. Check what it says on the stick. Where ever that is, MARK THE STICK IN THAT SPOT. That is your oil level.

Dipsticks and dipstick tubes vary.

Always check and correct your own dipstick.

Hell, I don't even use a dipstick.
Best answer :thumbsup:

Jeff

Without a guide, the stick would be swinging in the breeze.
That is how your stick gets windburn, by swinging in the breeze.....

-
Back