[WANTED] Oil pan for '66 Valiant convertible 360 V8 for 225 /6 ...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynlady

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm doing an engine swap for my 1966 Plymouth Valiant /6 225...I currently have a 904 transmission but will be replacing engine & trans with a 360 & 727 transmission. The oil pan that I bought is not fitting properly and apparently, is for a truck 360 engine. Can someone tell me what oil pan I need to get to make it fit AND do you have one for sale or can I buy aftermarket?

THANKS!!!!!!!

You will have to use a car 360 pan and pickup, but you will need to modify it so the center link and idler arm will clear, on the side, where the side rolls under to the bottom of the pan.

You will also have to have a 64-66 A body V-8 only center link.

I have a v8 centerlink but please explain about modifying it to clear centerlink and idler arm?

When you turn all the way left or right, on an early A, these will hit the oil pan before you get the full turn out of the steering, thus you have a wider turning radius, but more importantly, when you go full lock, the steering may become wedged on the bottom of the oil pan and you can't turn the wheel back to straighten it up, like going around a corner. I will look and see if I have some pictures of what I am talking about. It's an easy modification, just better to do it off the car, than take a hammer and bash the pan in, on the car!

When you turn all the way left or right, on an early A, these will hit the oil pan before you get the full turn out of the steering, thus you have a wider turning radius, but more importantly, when you go full lock, the steering may become wedged on the bottom of the oil pan and you can't turn the wheel back to straighten it up, like going around a corner. I will look and see if I have some pictures of what I am talking about. It's an easy modification, just better to do it off the car, than take a hammer and bash the pan in, on the car!

Do you have a parts number for the CORRECT oil pan ... Maybe it's the wrong one?

They never made a correct pan for a 360 in a early A body(360 didn't come out until 1972) and you can't use a 273 pan, because of the main journal size. Therefore you have to take a later 360 car pan, and do the modifications that the factory did to the 273 pans to get everything to fit. It's not really a big deal, just something you need to do before you put it in the car. You can modify a 360 pan or put in a 318 and use the factory 273 pan for a early A body. The 318 and 273 have the same size main journals so the pans are a direct swap.

In 67 and up, they made the engine compartments wider, so you don't have this problem.

Now I'm being told the oil pan is for an E body. What is correct part number for early A body oil pan that fits the 360 LA motor?

THANKS!!

So what we need here is a picture of a 64-66 273 oil pan and compare it to a stock car 360 pan.

You can modify a 360 pan or put in a 318 and use the factory 273 pan for a early A body. The 318 and 273 have the same size main journals so the pans are a direct swap.

Or swap in a 340 instead. The same pan will fit on a 340 that fits a 273/318, just not 360....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back