Oil pan or rear main?

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
I've got an oil leak on my 340. It has a stock pan and was rebuilt within the past couple years. It leaks oil from the rear of the engine when it's just sitting there, even if it hasn't been run for days. Not a ton, but over a week of sitting it leaks enough to make me not want to drive it. I don't want oil all over the bottom of the car. I'm thinking it's the pan since it leaks after it's cold and hasn't been run for a long time. Any thoughts?

A static leak such as yours indicates it's likely a gasket, not the rear main leaking but it might not be either the pan or rear main. It could be the oil filter or the filter adapter gasket(s) leaking. Twice I've ran into leaking oil filter adapter gaskets leaking and running down the back of the pan making it look like it was the pan or rear main leaking. You need to get under the car and clean things real good with brake cleaner or carb cleaner (watch out for the fumes from either) then watch it closely and see where it's actually coming from.

-
Back