Oil pan question

-

TomSchichtel

73 Duster
Reaction score
Hi ther I'm swapping my la 360 out for a la 318 car I use the oil pan off my 3360? what stall torque converter should I use with a 727 318 3.23 setup? Any other things besides oil pan ( 318 is out of a van) , motor mounts, and external/internal balance that you might know I need to worry about during my swap? Thanks for your time!

The oil pan between the 318 and the 360 is different, so no you can not reuse the same pan, as far as motor mounts I would jut buy the correct set for the 318, and not have any troubles as well. The flywheel on the 318 is internal balanced and the 360 I think is external balanced so i dont think this will work as well. I am sure others readers can talk more about this as well.

Thanks

Richard

Like Richard said on the pan and mounts but it's the torque converter that's different for an externally vs. internally balanced engine. By your question of what stall converter to use it sounds like your going to buy a new one anyway so just get a neutral balanced converter. As for what stall it depends on the engine build. Is it a stock cam or monster earth shaking cam? Or somewhere in between? Why are you using a 727 trans instead of a 904?

I'm using the 727 just because its already in and I don't want to have to get a need driveshaft made. The cam is stock, its a stock rebuild 318. Your right I am planning on buying a new torque converter I just don't know what stall I should get, looking for more mpg's on this build, my current 360 build gets 8.5 mpg. Is it worth it to swap to a 904? My running 100% complete 1972 J head 360 will be available for local pickup in Newcastle CA when I am done with the swap... Thanks in advance for all the advice.

If you looking for mpg and dependability ,if it were me I'd save the money on the stall conveter and try to find a good stock converter and use that money on a stock rebuild snall cam and flat top pistons,also you should put those j heads on the 318 if to upgrade the other stuff I mentioned.
BTW using a high stall with a stock cam just gives you more rpms at take off and uses more fuel,I dont think you would benifit much from it.

I'm using the 727 just because its already in and I don't want to have to get a need driveshaft made. The cam is stock, its a stock rebuild 318. Your right I am planning on buying a new torque converter I just don't know what stall I should get, looking for more mpg's on this build, my current 360 build gets 8.5 mpg. Is it worth it to swap to a 904? My running 100% complete 1972 J head 360 will be available for local pickup in Newcastle CA when I am done with the swap... Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Understood. You don't want a high stall converter if MPG is in mind. The lower the stall speed the better for MPG. High stall converters are for more take off. A 904 should give you a little better MPG but if you don't already have one the cost of getting one that's in good enough condition to trust or having one rebuilt and making the other changes to use it will take quite a while to pay off cause the gain probably will be very little.

-
Back