Oil Pan Repair Help

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to safely repair a stock oil pan with a 1/4 inch hairline crack on the bottom rear without pulling the pan?

Maybe JB Weld or 2 part epoxy.....Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

Dang thing didn't leak while filled with oil and on stands for the last 2 months.

Got it started and broke in the engine today and noticed a little drip. :banghead:

Is there a way to safely repair a stock oil pan with a 1/4 inch hairline crack on the bottom rear without pulling the pan?

Maybe JB Weld or 2 part epoxy.....Any thoughts or ideas welcomed.

Dang thing didn't leak while filled with oil and on stands for the last 2 months.

Got it started and broke in the engine today and noticed a little drip. :banghead:

Many years ago I was working @ a gas station when you actually pumped the customers gas and cleaned their windshield (can you believe it). Anyway, my boss was trying to weld up a cracked pan and it blew up a little and spit a few flames out the drain plug hole. Scared the bejeasus out of me as I was standing under it. With that said,
I would drain the oil, let it sit for a few hours, sand it so it's clean and try the JB weld, a few coats. It should work just fine.

My .02

If the JB weld doesn't work run a hose with Argon from your tig into the oil fill tube and try tiging it up. The oil may still contaminate the weld tho.
I had the same thing happen to me, ended up pulling the pan and welding it. I knew with my luck I'd be in the middle of nowhere and it would start leaking again.

When I rebuilt my 273 the pan showed signs of having been brazed. I don't think the engine had ever been out of the car before so it was most likely done while the pan was on the motor in the car.

Many years ago I was working @ a gas station when you actually pumped the customers gas and cleaned their windshield (can you believe it). Anyway, my boss was trying to weld up a cracked pan and it blew up a little and spit a few flames out the drain plug hole. Scared the bejeasus out of me as I was standing under it. With that said,
I would drain the oil, let it sit for a few hours, sand it so it's clean and try the JB weld, a few coats. It should work just fine.

My .02

There is actually one gas station that I know of that still has full service islands. But, its quite expensive.....as you might expect.

I'm gonna try the JB without draining the oil......will let you know.

If the JB weld doesn't work run a hose with Argon from your tig into the oil fill tube and try tiging it up. The oil may still contaminate the weld tho.
I had the same thing happen to me, ended up pulling the pan and welding it. I knew with my luck I'd be in the middle of nowhere and it would start leaking again.

Bought some 2 part JB weld today. Jacked the car up pretty high in the back trying to push all the oil forward in the pan. Will try it tomorrow.....fingers crossed as I don't have a tig welder, but thx for your input.

JB weld is pretty tough stuff. Be sure to rough up the area with some 50 or 60 grit and make sure there's no paint. I had a small sharp dent from a rock on my RC pan pan that I thought might leak in the future. I JB'd it and it never did leak, but then again, it wasn't leaking yet anyway. Oil free and rough is the key to a good seal.

When I pulled the engine I just Mig'd it.

JB weld is pretty tough stuff. Be sure to rough up the area with some 50 or 60 grit and make sure there's no paint. I had a small sharp dent from a rock on my RC pan pan that I thought might leak in the future. I JB'd it and it never did leak, but then again, it wasn't leaking yet anyway. Oil free and rough is the key to a good seal.

When I pulled the engine I just Mig'd it.

Thank you ramcharger for your input. It's been 2 years in the making and just can't wait another minute..LOL

Can pull the pan later and fix it right, but now just want to enjoy it a little. If the JB weld will work for a bit, that's what I'm gonna do.

tig weld . a friend of mind does it alot he even does gas tanks .... not with me around lol but had a mud truck that had a stick through the oil pan . he welded right up out there in the mud hole (up on dry land ) sold the truck still had the same pan on it 2yrs later

Sanded the pan to remove the paint. Could hardly see the crack, but put a couple coats of JB on it yesterday.

View attachment 60076

I'm crossing my fingers this will work for awhile.....LOL :toothy10:

And......I figured out how to type in between the pics. Woo, Hoo, about time. I'm kinda slow at some of this stuff, but determined.

Sanded the pan to remove the paint. Could hardly see the crack, but put a couple coats of JB on it yesterday.

View attachment 60076

I'm crossing my fingers this will work for awhile.....LOL :toothy10:

And......I figured out how to type in between the pics. Woo, Hoo, about time. I'm kinda slow at some of this stuff, but determined.

Boy, it should work just fine, especially being that high on the oil pan! Good luck.
And as for typing in between the pictures, i've been on here for a few years and STILL don't know how to even post pictures.

-
Back