Oil Pan replacement oil pump mounting question

-

JonathanI

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I finally got around to replacing my oil pan on my 360 in the cuda, and had a question. I had to drop the oil pump to change the pickup, when I go to re-install how do I make sure the pump is properly seated to the shaft. I had a problem years ago when I replaced a pump on my 340 and it wasn't matched up. Want to make sure I don't have to do the job twice like I did last time :) I was thinking I could use something to hold some oil and crank it to make sure it pulls. Just wanted to see if there were any other ideas. Thanks.

Hi guys,
I finally got around to replacing my oil pan on my 360 in the cuda, and had a question. I had to drop the oil pump to change the pickup, when I go to re-install how do I make sure the pump is properly seated to the shaft. I had a problem years ago when I replaced a pump on my 340 and it wasn't matched up. Want to make sure I don't have to do the job twice like I did last time :) I was thinking I could use something to hold some oil and crank it to make sure it pulls. Just wanted to see if there were any other ideas. Thanks.

What 'shaft' are you referring to??? The shaft on the pick-up tube, or the distributor drive shaft that drives the pump...

I like to have the distributor gear drive shaft in first, then align the hex in the pump to the one on the shaft before installing/tightening...

For the pick-up tube, I use teflon tape to help seal the threads....

Sorry should have been more clear, the hex key from distributor down into the pump. Motor is in the car, distributor already in, pulled pump to replace pickup just want to make sure it's all matched up before I seal up the pan. I did it once long ago, and messed up the alignment maybe I'm just being over cautious.

Sorry should have been more clear, the hex key from distributor down into the pump. Motor is in the car, distributor already in, pulled pump to replace pickup just want to make sure it's all matched up before I seal up the pan. I did it once long ago, and messed up the alignment maybe I'm just being over cautious.

Mate the hex in the pump with the hex on the drive gear shaft, then carefully get the pump seated before installing the bolts...

Fill the oil pump with Vaseline before you put the pickup tube on the pump body.

It will fit or it wont then rotate the pump till the hex falls in place.
Then measure from the pan rail to the bottom of the pick up and measure the pan from the bottom to the rail and you should have a 3/8" gap between the pick up and bottom of pan.

Doesn't the measurement depend on style of pickup? OE vs aftermarket?
It will fit or it wont then rotate the pump till the hex falls in place.
Then measure from the pan rail to the bottom of the pick up and measure the pan from the bottom to the rail and you should have a 3/8" gap between the pick up and bottom of pan.

Pickups with the shroud around the screen can sit right on the bottom of the pan.

Yea, that's true and the screen is about 1/4" - 3/8" off the bottom .
I'm talking about the screen, should have made that more clear.

Cool, I think the pickup height is good was built for the pan (kevko) but I'll double check just to make sure. The pump seated very easily and it looks flush and mounted properly but wanted to just make sure it was engaged in the hex key.

-
Back