Oil pans for slant 6 motors

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I hear a lot of people say that the Oil pans for the 225 Slant6 will interchange with each other. Is that true?
The reason I'm asking is because the slant6 motor that is in my 68 valiant has an oil pan with the drain plug on the side of it and the hump is set back like 7 inches or so from the front of the block.
The Slant6 motor I am rebuilding has the oil pan drain plug on the back side of it and the hump is only 5 inches or so from the front of the block. I hope using this oil pan with the motor I am rebuilding will clear the crossmember. It looks like it might be kind of close.

There are several different pans for the slant.The most common are the car pans. The early A pans are different than the later 67 to72 pans.Then they changed again in 73/74.I installed a 67 engine in a 64 Dart and had to change the pan because the 67 pan hit the K frame.That's all I know. Lets hope that someone with more info can help .

Thanks for the link srixon4406. That helps shows the different pans and it looks like the one I have on the rebuild motor is 987(???) Pan. And the one that is in the car now is a 359(???).
The ones in the picture that are in the middle is what I have. The blue pan would be on the motor that is in the 68 valiant now.
The red one directly to the left of the blue one is the one I have on the rebuild motor that will go in the 68 eventually.

So I need to know if this pan will fit before I go trying to put the motor in the car and realize I have to pull it back out because of the Pan not fitting over the cross member.
You can see what I mean by looking at the picture.

Attachments

• oilpanpicture.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 361
  • oilpans.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 301
It looks to me like the sump of blue pan that's in your '68 starts well back from the red one that's on the engine you're rebuilding. What's the clearance between the chassis parts and the front of the pan that's on it? Looks like you will need to swap the pan and the pickup to the rebuilt engine.

BC

They all fit on the slant 6, it matters which car it goes into.

Early A, Mid A. or Late A...

There are clearance issues with the steering system if you use the wrong one.

But sure to buy one ? I’ve looked every where and not seen a single A body slant oil pan Anywhere. 71 duster 198

-
Back