OIl pressure, cranking engine

-

angeldust72

Reaction score
I'm not getting oil up to the topside valve train after priming the pump with the tool/drill thing and turning the engine over at the same tme for about 5 minutes. I'm getting oil into the filter, so it's not the oil pump/pressure relief valve and I have determined all the internal oil galley plugs are in place and the oil holes in the valve train/shaft are lined-up.
Am I running scared? should I fire this ***** up? Or is there something else I have overlooked

You need to turn the engine over by hand. There is a hole in one of the cam journals that alternately routes the oil to one side then the other on the top end. If the hole is not lined up no oil to the top end.

Get a helper to run the drill then slowly turn the crank, when the holes are aligned you will see oil up top. Keep turning until you get oil on the other side.

If you don't get oil on the drivers side the inner galley plug may not be installed. Look in the distributor hole (I am assuming small block) on the block torwards the drivers side and you should see a pipe plug. If its missing I hope the engine is not installed because you will need to remove the outer plug on the back of the block under the flywheel/flex plate to access the inner galley plug.

is it bogging down the drill ? it should some . assuming you are turning it the right direction he is right the engine has to line up the cam bearing. does it show oil pressure should get there fairly quick

-
Back