Oil Pressure Gauge - Plastic Tube Removal

-

Bob_B

New Duster 340 Owner
Reaction score
Pulled the Sun Oil Pressure gauge out of my dashboard only to find a tube with oil in it. I traced it back to the back top of the motor.
Is there a plug I need to fill where this tube is coming from? Does anyone know the official name of this plug (it's probably "bolt" :)) so I can search and find one? I guess I can't start my car until I plug up the tube....

Oh yeah... I have a similar tube coming from the radiator for the water temp.
This is probably a some sort of plug or bolt ... yes?

Thanks for any help you can give.... That oil pressure plug look like a pain to get to....

if you dont have oil in that tube then you are probably out of oil in the engine ...LOL Seriously thats the oil pressure line and you have a mechanical oil pressure guage. Oil from the oil galley in the back of the block goes to the guage to tell you your pressure if it reads ok and isnt leaking then you are good to go as is ...have never seen a mechanical temp guage that had water running to the guage it is usually a ether filled bulb that operates that guage

The water temp gauge actually had some sort of liquid in it (smelly too... hope it wasn't mercury I spilled on my hand). It wasn't anti freeze.

I just need to know how to plug those two holes and where to get the parts..

You don't want to plug the holes. The pieces you are talking about are the sender units. You need these to run your gauges. If you don't want the mechanical ones then get the electical ones from the dealer and hook them up to your in dash gauges or lights. I would not drive a car that didn't have some way of warning you something is wrong with the oil or water.

Jack

The technical name of the plugs are National Pipe Thread (NPT) known as pipe plugs and the sizes start at 1/8 inch pipe for the oil pressure and generally 3/8 pipe for the water temp. but I have to say I don't think the radiator is a good place for the water temp to be connected to, usually located before the thermostat, this means it is usually threaded into the intake manifold near the thermostat housing. For normal automotive use the plugs range in size from 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch and usually 1/2 inch is the largest you will find in a standard car engine. They are available in hex head or allen wrench configurations what ever fits your needs. Generally the tube for the water temp is filled with gas that expands with heat thus moving the gauge,( not liquid). good luck , jeffco

-
Back