Oil pressure-How much is too much?

-
Just us I guess..... but for street stuff running anywhere around 500-550hp and up to 6,000 rpm

With an HV Melling....typical Cold is 75-80 psi....moving to 40-45 psi Idle Hot with back to 70-75psi @ rpm... 170-180* F Oil Temp.

With 5w40 this is about what I'm seeing now that I switched to the thinner oil.

OK, I have an update. I got the trans back and installed and on Sunday Jan 2nd I got it up and running again. I went with Valvoline 5W20 convetional oil. The air temp was around 40F. Much better, at cold start the pressure was about 75 psi. once it was warmed up, the pressure at idle was just below 30 psi. I took the car for a short drive and brought it to just over 5000 rpm and it has about 70 psi at the rpm. The trans worked great and I gotta say the car is an animal. Can't for springtime to get here now!

Sounds good. Sounds like you are ready to run. Once it is broken in really well maybe you will need to switch to 5w30 to maintain the oil pressure range that you like.
I dont know much but if you have tight bearing clearances shouldn't you take it easy on RPMs for a thousand miles or so?

How about posting a video?

I meant to type Feb 2nd for the test drive. As far as breaking it in, I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the rings and the lifters (if its a flat tappet cam) . I have a solid roller and I didn't hammer it too hard, just a couple of half to 3/4 throttle hits and lifting when the tach hit 5000. I did take a cell phone video and the quality sucks. I'm getting a GoPro before the springtime and will have plenty of videos to post on youtube then. We'll see what it needs as far as oil viscosity, probly wind up with something a little heavier than the 5w20. I also bought a Sealed power regular volume/pressure pump and will likely try that at some point. It's my first Mopar hot rod and I'm very happy with it so far.

Former team mate put an HV pump and new bearings in our motor. 90psi. It was working so hard, the electronics in the distributor would overheat, and the motor would die. After changing the distributor, the drive gear finally got chewed up due to the stress. He's gone, I rebuilt the motor, and it's survived a 36 hour endurance race, a 10, and a 7, with 50psi all the time running Castrol 10w30

-
Back