Oil pressure question.

-
And there you have it. Full grooves with a standard volume oil pump. Genius to sub the P for the 9. I wouldda never thought of it.
Not genius really. I’m just familiar with a 3 digit clevite part number and I know whatever is after that 3 digit is a “style” digit. This is a “P” series bearing.

Not genius really. I’m just familiar with a 3 digit clevite part number and I know whatever is after that 3 digit is a “style” digit. This is a “P” series bearing.
I assume P for performance.

I assume P for performance.
I think that’s a safe assumption.
79004206-2CE2-4C2B-B41C-D0989B53CC1C.png

Thanks guys for helping me out with this issue.
I've already looked into ordering a HV pump.
Just looked at my paper work and I installed a Sealed power std pump when I put the engine together..
I'll do a update once I get it on.
Thanks

Thanks guys for helping me out with this issue.
I've already looked into ordering a HV pump.
Just looked at my paper work and I installed a Sealed power std pump when I put the engine together..
I'll do a update once I get it on.
Thanks
Please do an update.

Does the high pressure spring increase oil pressure at idle?

NO. The high pressure spring assy. acts as a pressure relief valve. It dumps any excess oil back into the oil pan when it senses oil pressure over 60 psi [stock spring]. More, maybe 80 psi, for the high pressure spring. So, unless your oil pressure gauge reaches that level, it does nothing.

NO. The high pressure spring assy. acts as a pressure relief valve. It dumps any excess oil back into the oil pan when it senses oil pressure over 60 psi [stock spring]. More, maybe 80 psi, for the high pressure spring. So, unless your oil pressure gauge reaches that level, it does nothing.
Yes, it increases oil pressure from stock, UNTIL the engine reaches about 70PSI max. Would you like a video? I have the big block high pressure spring in my slant six pump and it sits at 70 PSI idle oil pressure, where before it was about 30. I can rev the engine and it "might" get 74 or 75, but the relief valve opens "around" 70 give or take. It's even talked about in the MP engine book how it works. You are correct that it does increase the PSI at which the relief valve opens, but it most certainly does and will increase oil pressure at every rpm all the way to "around" 70PSI unless the oil pressure is already that high with the stock pump and in that case you wouldn't need the high pressure spring. You can disagree till the cows come home, but that doesn't make you right.

Is it possible to remove the oil pump without lifting engine?
1968 factory 383 with stock mounts and exhaust manifolds,
Last one I did I had to lift engine 1968 big block Dart with Schumacher mounts and headers.
Thanks

I have to lift ,mine even with a motor plate !

Wrong answer, there is no debate.
An engine with proper bearing clearances will gain 10 or so psi at idle.
and top out at 70-80 psi at rpm.
I only use 1/2 groove mains with a standard pump and high pressure spring.
Never had an oiling problem on a big block turning 6500 rpm's

Hey guys... I should have my new HV pump in a few days..
After I install my new pump should I pull the distributor and prime the pump?
Thanks

Hey guys... I should have my new HV pump in a few days..
After I install my new pump should I pull the distributor and prime the pump?
Thanks
I would, yes and with the filter installed on the pump.

Disassemble the pump & make sure it is clean. Lube the pressure valve & make sure it moves freely. Lube the gears etc with vaseline or thick oil. They have to create a seal to draw oil from the pan.

Hey guys ..
So the new HV melling oil pump shows up at my house today,...both my kids are over at friends.... I played my cards right with the Wife and got the night to work on the cuda..
I open the box inspect pump , then go to look at the gasket thinking " I hope its not ripped"
Wouldn't you know it the bastard is torn...
Unreal . I look in my spare Mopar gaskets nothing.. but of course I have 3 new fuel pump gaskets lol..
I guess I'll have a few pops instead.

No experience myself with this Darren, but are you talking mount gasket? I have HEARD you can go without it??
Hey guys ..
So the new HV melling oil pump shows up at my house today,...both my kids are over at friends.... I played my cards right with the Wife and got the night to work on the cuda..
I open the box inspect pump , then go to look at the gasket thinking " I hope its not ripped"
Wouldn't you know it the bastard is torn...
Unreal . I look in my spare Mopar gaskets nothing.. but of course I have 3 new fuel pump gaskets lol..
I guess I'll have a few pops instead.

That’s an aftermarket thing. I never have ever used a gasket between the main and the oil pump. Dam I thought it was a small block. Please disregard this. Kim

Last edited:
Ya don't need no stinkin' gasket!!
We didn't have silicon or Loctite 518 Gasket maker when this engine was designed.

Just use a thin smear of either product [ I prefer silicon ]. Keep way from the two oil holes to avoid getting anything in the oil system.

Hey guys... just a little update, I got the HV pump on. Now warm at idle I'm 25 PSI , ( I'm also running 10W 40)
The clacking noise at idle now seams to be alot better. I still have to go over the timing, I was rushed to take my son to hockey so just set it to the old marks I made on dizzy and block.
I had the distributor out to prime the pump.
I took the new pump apart cleaned and packed the pump with Vaseline like Bewy said
Thanks for the guys .. I'll upload a video too..

-
Back