Oil Pressure Sending Unit

-

mickey_bigdaddy

Reaction score
I started up my 1970-318 Duster and the P.O. put a tube on top of the oil pressure sending unit and then proceeded to plug it with a screw. Needless to say, oil all over my garage floor.

That oil sending unit is broken, correct? Otherwise it wouldn't be spewing oil everywhere. Isn't it supposed to just have a wire on top of it that goes to the oil pressure gauge?

Curious if anyone has some pics of their sending unit.

I started up my 1970-318 Duster and the P.O. put a tube on top of the oil pressure sending unit and then proceeded to plug it with a screw.

How about you post a pic? It would be pretty easy to determine what you have if you can get a good shot of it.

Does it look like a compression union kinda, where the tube is??

I suspect that when you say "tube", it's a mechanical gauge, or should be. That tube should run into the cabin and hook to the back of a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

If it were an electrical sending unit, it would have a threaded stud sticking up about a half inch (at least most likely) that the wire would hook to.

Does it look like this?

th

Does it look like this?

th

Yes, it looks exactly like that.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge in the instrument panel so I assume the P.O. was going to put one in it. I guess all I have in the instrument panel is a light so I bought this from O'reillys (Part #S310) just to get this back to stock. Does that sound like a correct assumption?

Attachments

• s310_primary.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 219
Yes, it looks exactly like that.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge in the instrument panel so I assume the P.O. was going to put one in it. I guess all I have in the instrument panel is a light so I bought this from O'reillys (Part #S310) just to get this back to stock. Does that sound like a correct assumption?

I'm not sure about a oil light on your car, but that looks like the right sending unit for an electric gauge (or light). It will keep the oil in the engine and off the garage floor!!!!

-
Back