Oil pressure slow..ish to build pressure

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So I've noticed this recently but never really knew why or if it's a problem (don't really think it is, but just confirming). My dart has a new 360 in it, I've put about 600 miles on it and the oil pressure has stated consistent the entire time. Cold I get about 76psi and when it warms up I get about 45 at idle, and 64 when I'm cruising around. I have a HV oil pump and a mechanical auto meter gauge.

The problem (or no problem) is that when I start it up the gauge takes a few seconds to read full pressure, it reads pressure almost instantly just not full pressure, it goes up steadily to full pressure, and I have no clatter or anything from the motor. Also when I shut the car off the gauge takes about 15-20 seconds to read back to zero again. When the pressure reads full after the delay it seems pretty quick to read. Is this delay just the time it takes for the oil to go through the copper line? I have quite a long line because I thought I needed more length than I actually used (need to shorten it a bit).

It's possible, since you used copper line, that you may have a small kink somewhere.

Did you bleed the line up to the back of the guage? Remember air compresses and I know you can't bleed the guage but you can get a good amount of air out of the line. Also what weight of oil are you running. Heavier weight may take longer to show on the guage. Also the brand of guage just may be slower due to bourdon tube design etc. if you don't have any leaks and as bad sport stated no kinks in the tube as long as pressures remain what have been normal drive the wheels off it.

I will check for kinks in the line. And I did not bleed the line at all, I just ran the new copper line and hooked it up to the block and the brand new gauge. I'm running rotella 15-40 with a bottle of break in additive so it's pretty thick stuff. And yup no leaks, it's been running really well, so I guess no problems then. Maybe I'll get some air out of the line see if that does anything, but I guess I should be good to go then?

I was just thinking about the air in the line, wouldn't the air just compress and give an accurate reading anyways?

-
Back