Oil pressure.

-

bjopau

Reaction score
I have oil pressure problem.
when the engine is cold I have about 40-45 psi.
when it is hot it drops to less than 5 psi at idle, about 5 psi at 2000 rpm and
a it increases at higher rpm but not over 45 psi.

where am I loosing the pressure?
I know it can be the oil pump, but I have changed it, so thats ok and also a hv pump.
It can also be the main bearings and the connecting rod bearing ( at the crank end, can it be the other end?)
And it could be the camshaft bearings.

I have checked one main beraring an and one connecting rod bearing and I don`t think they look so bad that I should loose my oilpressure.

Can it be anything else? like in the cylinderheads?
If anyone knoes any places to look it would be nice to know 8)

what engine? how many miles are on it? oil weight? You know that bearing clearances affect oil pressure directly. Don't "gauge" your bearings by looking at them, either mic the bearings and bearing journals or do it via plastigauge.

I agree with mtandrew you need to check them all,I had a 408 that started out with good oil pressure then started to drop,i also just check 1 main and 1 rod,put back together and had the same problem what i found was the top of the main bearing was bad,i hope that your problem is alot simpler than what i had.LOL

I haven`t measured anything acurately, because it`s still in the car. thats why I`am asking if there is any other things to check "superphichially" before renoving the engine.

I can try a mech gauge on it. how do you do that? do you put a mech gauge direct to the engine block or do you use a hose or a pipe to a mech gauge, then check , or just a different gauge and and connect the same "display" in the car?

buy a mech gauge, screw it in old electric/ idiot hole. You can fabricate a brass tee to use both. And then see what the gauge reads.

-
Back