oil problems?

-

mrsmothers

Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda with a 318 and a833 . Every time I sit in traffic the oil light comes on wondering if anyone else has had this problem it flickers then comes on and when I start moving goes off.

I haven't seen any metal in the oil and I have no smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Do y'all think I should be safe and replace the oil pump . If so can u replace it with out pulling the motor?

Could very easily be as simple as a flabby oil pressure sender.

There are two ways to go from here: you could just throw in a new correct sender and see if the problem goes away. Or you could do the proper diagnosis: warm up the engine, put a known-good, mechanical oil pressure gauge in place of the sender to see what the actual, real pressure is with the engine hot and idling. If it's lower than the minimum spec, you have some deciding to do (different grade of oil, different/better filter, new oil pump, engine overhaul) based on how many miles are on the engine, how much oil it uses, etc.

Concur! stick a gauge on it... if you really can't get one put a new sender in it... probably about done. IF you have it in neutral in or out of traffic does it do it? The reason I say that is in automatic cars in neutral the idle is higher in drive it drops to the 550rpms and some weak senders will flicker there. I think Manual cars are 450rpm? you could also after the car is warmed up slowly raise idle until it goes out, but not above 800 rpm...

Get one of those Auto Zone gauges there good just to have around any way.

-
Back