Oil pump 5 hole versus oe 6 hole pump for slant 6

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I am looking to put a new oil pump on the Slant 6 225 I am building in my garage. I see the old oil pump is a 6 hole oil pump. All the new ones show only 5 holes, but the gaskets still come as a 6 hole pump. How do I make sure I apply this 5 hole pump correctly to eliminate the hassle of taking the oil pump off the car with the motor in it because of a oil leak from the oil pump?

The reason I want to change out the old oil pump is because when the motor was pulled from it's original car, they left the motor leaning on the oil pump. I think it may have bent the shaft because the oil pump does not turn freely by hand. It binds.

I found this melling 5 hole oil pump and some info on the oil pump gasket on Slant 6 forum. but it doesn't mention the melling and the gaskets that come with it. Or the fel-pro gasket in the gasket set for the slant 6.

www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17669&sid=9337a876f43770e5fcd4efe16842fcdc

Take apart the old pump and see if it still binds. Might just be crap inside of it. In my experience a high percentage of used pumps are still within specs.

The 5 vs 6 hole thing is a non-issue. Pumps swap back and forth with no problem - there is a small subset of 5-hole pumps that are not cast with the extra ear that blocks where the 6th bolt goes into the block. For these few pumps, just stick a little extra gasket material on that area, it will be clear when you have the part in your hand.

Take apart the old pump and see if it still binds. Might just be crap inside of it. In my experience a high percentage of used pumps are still within specs.

The 5 vs 6 hole thing is a non-issue. Pumps swap back and forth with no problem - there is a small subset of 5-hole pumps that are not cast with the extra ear that blocks where the 6th bolt goes into the block. For these few pumps, just stick a little extra gasket material on that area, it will be clear when you have the part in your hand.

Thanks.

-
Back