Oil pump pickup thread size

-

Lecki6

Reaction score
So I've got my oil pump out, my old pickup is out as well. Upon trying to screw in the new oil pickup I found it only goes in maybe 1.5 turns before it becomes exceedingly difficult. This oil pump is from a stock 99 durango 5.9l magnum. The new pickup is from jegs/mopar performance 312-P4529563

I'm tempted to just force it in, but I'll consult with the experts first....

Should these threads be the same? Difference between LA and magnum threads?

20170309_184619.jpg

20170309_184730.jpg

Last edited:
Did you try putting some oil on the threads of the new pickup? You may even want to put plumbers pipe dope on the threads because you want an air tight
connection. It looks like old p/u threads were a little beat up. Maybe pump threads are bad.

Do you have a thread gauge?.....
Thread Gauge.jpg

You can verify the thread count with this tool. An easy way to tell if they are the same is see if the threads mesh with each other.

If they can mesh together then the thread count is the same. "Looks" the same in the picture. May have been threaded with a worn die causing an oversize condition.

They were close but the new threads were more shallow and less pointy. I ended up twisting it on 2 turns myself and having someone else hold it while I get the third. It's centered and tight, don't see any reason to go further, hopefully it doesn't bite me in the *** later

They use a pipe thread...

there are some different pipe threads... Most pipe threads are tapered and get larger, but you have to be careful when tapping a tapered pipe thread hole, if you go too deep, then the hold becomes too large and the male pipe thread will go in too deep and bottom out and possibly not seal... If they didn't thread it in enough, it will be tight...

Then there are straight pipe threads which are the same diameter across the whole thread...

When I worked on the engine block line, they used straight pipe threads for the drain plugs and tapered pipe threads for the plugs... That way they are not as sensitive to the depth of the female thread, and the tapered male thread will seal like a cork when threaded in - a much more reliable way to use pipe threads... You have to know what threads you are working with to get the proper tap and die for them when you manufacture them...

They use a pipe thread...

there are some different pipe threads... Most pipe threads are tapered and get larger, but you have to be careful when tapping a tapered pipe thread hole, if you go too deep, then the hold becomes too large and the male pipe thread will go in too deep and bottom out and possibly not seal... If they didn't thread it in enough, it will be tight...

Then there are straight pipe threads which are the same diameter across the whole thread...

When I worked on the engine block line, they used straight pipe threads for the drain plugs and tapered pipe threads for the plugs... That way they are not as sensitive to the depth of the female thread, and the tapered male thread will seal like a cork when threaded in - a much more reliable way to use pipe threads... You have to know what threads you are working with to get the proper tap and die for them when you manufacture them...
get a 1/2" or 3/8" pipe die and enlarge the hole a little. do a lot of checking as you go. your pic looks like 3/8"

-
Back