Oil pump priming rod ? ..

-
D

DocFiberglass

anyone use one ?

I am in the process of putting together a small "production run" of these and would like to get people's opinions....

Would you like that hex shape covered in the bushing area ...so no possible damage can occur ? Would you consider an aluminum rod -- instead of regular steel? ... any preferred lengths? (some are way too long) ...

I just use a 5\16 (I think, I know its a common size) hex socket on a long extension.

You can take a hacksaw and cut the rod if you are priming he motor in the car--like changing the camshaft.

Just keep it straight and it should not touch the bushing. Mind you, it just needs 20-30 seconds if its for a cam swap--a new motor you might want to turn the crank over a few times while pimping-- spark plugs out

If you are good with a welder you can use an old oil pump drive with the gear cut off and weld a short 3/8's extension on it. then it can be driven with a 3/8's air ratchet and works very well if you weld it straight.

If you are good with a welder you can use an old oil pump drive with the gear cut off and weld a short 3/8's extension on it. then it can be driven with a 3/8's air ratchet and works very well if you weld it straight.

Very true ... but what if you are at the track or where there is no "air" ??

This setup here will work with a standard 14 or 18 volt drill/driver. And I know that some people use a standard hex rod. HELL ... Mopar Performance sells one just like that .... but there is no protection on that hex in the bushing area. That spinning hex can damage that bushing.

My design will have a heavy coating of PVC plastic in the bushing area to protect same.

If you are that worry why not just grind the hex away at that point and make it round ? Anything else may make it too thick were the bushing is to go in.

If you are that worry why not just grind the hex away at that point and make it round ? Anything else may make it too thick were the bushing is to go in.

Grind it ? ...why not put it in a lathe then !

The way the plastic coating is planned .... it will be 60-80 thou smaller than the ID of the bushing.

I bought one from Hughes Racing engines for 8 dollars last year . It works great and the price was right. basically a hex rod about 1 foot long.

Bob

PS: I also bought an engine lift plate that bolts on to the carb studs on the intake manifold from them for $12 at the same time. Probably the only things they sell I can afford!!

Yo Bob ...do me a favor and measure that ferr me. And what do you use to turn it? ...a speed bar or drill ?

I bought an original Direct Connection piece for approx. $6-7 20+ years ago and have used the same priming rod on almost 18 motors (not all mine).

I bought an original Direct Connection piece for approx. $6-7 20+ years ago and have used the same priming rod on almost 18 motors (not all mine).

Hay Xer .... can you give me some feedback ?

What do you use to power yours? .. what motors have you used it on? .. what is the length ? ... would it be better longer or shorter?

Hay Xer .... can you give me some feedback ?

What do you use to power yours? .. what motors have you used it on? .. what is the length ? ... would it be better longer or shorter?

I use a basic Milwaukee hand drill. The rod is approx. 14" and have not any problems with it although I think that you could get away with a slightly shorter rod. All of the motors it was used on were small blocks.

-
Back