Oil Pump Priming

-

srg610

Reaction score
Hey guys,
How long do you have after you have primed the oil pump on the rebuilt motor before firing and breaking in? Do you have to drop the distributor in and get her fired right away?
Thanks

Hey guys,
How long do you have after you have primed the oil pump on the rebuilt motor before firing and breaking in? Do you have to drop the distributor in and get her fired right away?
Thanks

I'd say within a couple hours, also make sure you turn the engine over by hand, slowly, so the oil will go through the cam journal and up to the head rocker assembly.

Terry

I'd say within a couple hours, also make sure you turn the engine over by hand, slowly, so the oil will go through the cam journal and up to the head rocker assembly.

Terry

It's best if you leave the valve covers off and loosen the bolt on the rocker hold down that the oil hole is beneath. This way as you turn the motor over you will know when the oil hole is lined up in the cam bearing. You will see the oil come out around that bolt, tighten it down and run the drill another 30 sec to fill the rocker shaft, then repeat on the other side. WARNING DO NOT TAKE THE BOLT ALL THE WAY OUT, if you do when you line up the cam with the hole going to the top of the engine, it will shoot out a stream in a 3ft arch all over the place.

LoL,I wonder how ya figured that one out,pretty graphic details...sounds like you seen that in person!!!You know I'm just kiddin with ya!!
It's best if you leave the valve covers off and loosen the bolt on the rocker hold down that the oil hole is beneath. This way as you turn the motor over you will know when the oil hole is lined up in the cam bearing. You will see the oil come out around that bolt, tighten it down and run the drill another 30 sec to fill the rocker shaft, then repeat on the other side. WARNING DO NOT TAKE THE BOLT ALL THE WAY OUT, if you do when you line up the cam with the hole going to the top of the engine, it will shoot out a stream in a 3ft arch all over the place.

LoL,I wonder how ya figured that one out,pretty graphic details...sounds like you seen that in person!!!You know I'm just kiddin with ya!!

Oh no your absolutely right. Just yesterday on a 446 big block I built for a friend of mine. I loosened the bolt to much and as soon as the oil holes lined up, it shot the bolt out three foot and dump a half quart of oil in a beautiful 3ft arc all over the damn place!

if i have an engine setting on a stand for a while i useually do it like once a month and then when i set it in the car and almost ready to fire it up i prime it one last time drop in the distributer and fire it up

-
Back