Oil pump shaft question

-
Gear is in and just for the hell of it I put a drill on it to see if I could get some oil circulating and I didn't get anything. Ill research why its not pumping but its got me a little concerned.

Gear is in and just for the hell of it I put a drill on it to see if I could get some oil circulating and I didn't get anything. Ill research why its not pumping but its got me a little concerned.

If you have your cam in and a motor together, I find it hard to believe your drill has the power to turn the entire motor over with just the intermidate shaft.
If you get someone to turn your motor by hand, and look down to the intermediate shaft you will see it spinning/moving.

I don't have the timing chain hooked up so basically I'm just spinning the oil pump and cam. I'm going to wait until I get the entire motor together and give it another shot.

you need a priming shaft....all you want to turn is the oil pump. ya gotta take the intermediate shaft out, then prime engine.

A thrust button is used on GM motors or any block that doesn't have a cam retaining plate. On GM motors there is nothing holding the cam from moving front except for the lifters on a tappet motor.
If you take the lifters and the dist. out you can take the cam out with the gear on it. When installing a roller cam a button is installed to keep the cam from moving front. The gear stops it from moving back.

On a chrysler the cam is held by a retaining plate. This is good except it prevents proper chain oiling from the front cam bearing over flow.. This plate which the timing gear rides against prevents the cam from being pulled rearward by lifter rotation. It is also used to hold roller cams in place on later motors. These plates and or tentioners have a oil grove cut in them unlike the early plates.. These should also be used when installing a roler cam. The clearance is designed into the step on the cam behind the plate. You should have at least .003 -.006 no less To much and you may need to shim.

The buttons on GM's are used in conjunction with a aluminum timing cover. If you don't see a aluminum cover in a SBC and they say its a roller motor. They don't know what they are doing and it won't last. The flex of the tin cover will cause roller failure . I have a billet mopar cover and want to use it for a cam button for better chain oiling.

Note the oiling goove in the later cam plate for roller cams

Interesting... I just assembled my 78 360 block and the cam plate had an oil groove in it... I have another plate that is the same and I have never owned a roller Magnum small block .

No infrence here... Just curious...

Interesting... I just assembled my 78 360 block and the cam plate had an oil groove in it... I have another plate that is the same and I have never owned a roller Magnum small block .

No infrence here... Just curious...

Could have started it earlier. I wasn't there just what I have seen over the years. I know early 340's did not with the holed cam bolt . But I would always use them in place of the early plates.

Corrected info is always a good thing. Just wanted to show they are out there.

I have also seen these plates with a oil hole drilled in the place where the oil galley hole is covered as the chain tensioners have.

There is probably many experiment pieces out there that are worth looking at. I never trusted the plates with the drilled holes. Just thought it would be a loss of pressure to the lifters.

Attachments

• DSCN0943.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 66
Yea I'm going to make a priming shaft, just thought I'd give it a try spinning the shaft with the cam spinning as well just to see if I could get some oil pressure.

You won't get oil unless you turn the crank while your running the pump

Yea that's kinda what I was thinking. Sorry its been 10 years since I've done a complete build and I'm a bit rusty.

-
Back