Oil pump suction tube mods

-

Bob1958

Reaction score
Has anyone made a steel small block oil pump cover in order to weld on a larger suction tube for a rear sump. Here’s my experiment.
Bob
upload_2022-7-2_9-33-33.jpeg

Bob,
Good thinking. I have always thought the inlet side of oil pumps should be improved first before going to HP/HV pumps.
You should be able to silver solder a pipe onto the factory cover. I modified stock BB pumps this way, fitting a 3/4" inlet fitting into the side of the body; had a p/up that exited the left side of the oil pan & was connected with a short piece of rubber tubing to the pump. Bypassed the horrendous stock inlet system for one with smooth flow.

Bob,
Good thinking. I have always thought the inlet side of oil pumps should be improved first before going to HP/HV pumps.
You should be able to silver solder a pipe onto the factory cover. I modified stock BB pumps this way, fitting a 3/4" inlet fitting into the side of the body; had a p/up that exited the left side of the oil pan & was connected with a short piece of rubber tubing to the pump. Bypassed the horrendous stock inlet system for one with smooth flow.
Thank you. I tested the one I made it flowed great in a bucket. I’ll know more once I get the engine together and try priming it. Bob

-
Back