Oil sending unit, magnum.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
04 ram, beer barrel intake.
Anyone got a way to get to the oil sending unit with out pulling the intake?

I put the engine all back together and now I find the new sending unit in a box.....

Sure would have been nice to know THE SENDING UNIT THAT THE GAUGE NEEDS WAS NEVER INSTALLED!

dammit.... some how pops got the new wire on the sender but he never switched out the sender.....

Is there any way I can get the old untit out and the new one in with out taking everything apart?

Maybe a different oil passage I can plumb into.....

I can't believe this... i wanna slap my self for not releasing it was a factory sender when i had the entire top off the engine...

Any ideas would be great!

Crow's foot with a few extensions and a wobbly adapter? The factory sending unit has a hex in the body towards the bottom. I haven't worked on one in a truck though got any pics of the situation?

The sender is well inside the fire wall. (Engine is set way back on these teucks) Laying on top of the engine I can almost touch the sender.

So no pic.

If there is another oil passage i can tap into that would be awsome.

Pull the 2,4,6,8 wires to get them out of your way. There is a special oil sender socket. A couple small extensions and a ratchet will do it. You will just be blind the whole time.

I had one rupture on me about 2 hours from home several years ago. I did it on the side of the highway!

I tried to reach it again yesterday. I cant even touch it.

When laying on top of the engine it should be to the left of the distributor, correct?

Yes. It's deep in there. You need to remove the whole air cleaner assembly and i pulled the plug wires that go to the passenger side of the engine to make it easier.

I see where you said it's a 2004? I didn't realize the magnum engines were still being used. I thought they had gone to the 4.7 and 5.7 by then.

I found this picture on Google. The top part of the sender is broken off in the picture, but I circled it.
20190502_105406.jpg

Don't Magnums have a large hex extension for the senders (one for the light and one for the gauge)?

Like 1" or more and about 3 inches long with a 45* angled top.

-
Back