Oil??

-

Narlie

Reaction score
I have a stock 2bbl. Intake Manifold on my 318. I've changed the gaskets twice. Fixed the oil leak in the front and rear. I still keep getting a puddle of oil filling the area were the bolts hold down the intake in the center ,not to mention being slung all over (somewhat). So what I was wondering is it possible for the metal intake gasket to be allowing oil to leak out, or possibly the bolts. I wouldn't think there would be any oil pressure under there.
I replaced valve cover gaskets and checked and rechecked them.
If anyone else has seen or heard of this I would like to hear about it. No one wants oil all over their motor! "I really hate that". And the Wifey really has been pestering me to drive the car. You all know how that is!

Did you use a little silicone around the gasket? I also always use the "truck" gaskets and put the hump up.

I did on the corners and around the water ports. I am not sure about the hump but there were tabs at four locations that locked into the head.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that does it, but I like to rub a little around all the passage just in case there are some imperfections in the head or intake where oil or coolant may leak out. Not sure if that helps you much, just a suggestion

you need sealer on the bolt threads. the oil is wicking up through the threads, its a common problem.

If I read you right and your using stock type steel shim gaskets you need to completely seal both sides of the gaskets like the factory did. I use Fel-Pro blue sealer in a can (sorry I don't remember the exact name but it is a shellac type sealer) and never have any problems when I use steel shim gaskets. But personally I don't like the steel shim types as well as their not forgiving for minor surface warping and require sealer. Use Fel-pro replacement gaskets and you don't need sealer except on the end seals and possibly on the bolts to keep oil from wicking up through them.

Use Permatex #1 (hardening) on the intake bolts and the puddles will go away. Water pump bolts "drill through" and are the same story.

I use Teflon paste on the intake bolts and have no puddling issues. If I ever used the metal intake gaskets (which I never do) I would do as Fishy suggests as well.

Yep..Thought I had it fixed till I went to the car wash and hosed down the motor. As soon as I started it I could see the bubbles around the center on both sides(Big Bubbles). Off it comes ,but this time I will order the Other Gaskets and Sealant. I have a friend who works for an engine shop maybe I will see if he could surface both sides a lil on that big belt sander. Although that may make it worse. Crap!!

-
Back