Ok i get heat soak but do spacers really help?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
Hey guys ive just recently heard the term soak or heat soak, i always thought the term was vapor lock but are they two different things? Also when its above 75-80 out and when engine is hot i notice it requires more gas (me pumping the pedal) after it sits for 5-10 minutes, dont really notice any changes while driving. Is this heat soak im experiencing? I have the fuel lines and hoses wraped with heat sleeve from about mid way all tge way to the carb, will a wood or phenolic spacer help any? Also does it matter how thick?

Let me guess, Edelbrock.
Spacer helped a little on mine as did a fully circulating fuel system, but not a lot.
After a small short stop 10-20 min or so the carb goes really lean as referenced by my AF gauge, then clears up again after a 1/4 mile or so of running.
It's mostly heat coupled with the available fuel problem with Edelbrocks, as the fuel bowls are right in the body over the hot intake and not out on the ends like a Holley, and the newer fuels boil really easy.

The insulator may very well help, but I wouldn't expect the problem to completely disappear because of it.

The term heat soak could very well apply on an engine experiencing vapor lock, but that term also can apply to mechanical/electrical parts like starters.
The term vapor lock usually refers to only fuel.

I would go 1" if you have the room phenolic is best I think.

Yes its a eddy, i mean its not horrible, it still runs good just noticeable on restarts when its hot and after it sits a short period, i will check for clearance. Also i have no return to the tank just one line up to the carb

Let me guess, Edelbrock.
Spacer helped a little on mine as did a fully circulating fuel system, but not a lot.
After a small short stop 10-20 min or so the carb goes really lean as referenced by my AF gauge, then clears up again after a 1/4 mile or so of running.
It's mostly heat coupled with the available fuel problem with Edelbrocks, as the fuel bowls are right in the body over the hot intake and not out on the ends like a Holley, and the newer fuels boil really easy.

The insulator may very well help, but I wouldn't expect the problem to completely disappear because of it.

The term heat soak could very well apply on an engine experiencing vapor lock, but that term also can apply to mechanical/electrical parts like starters.
The term vapor lock usually refers to only fuel.

Huh, had the same problem with my Carter AFB. Basically an Edelbrock right? Wondered what the hell that was about during the summer.

This solved almost all of my heat soak problems with my Edelbrock. I run a mechanical pump with 5/16" fuel line. Nothing special.
- Home

This solved almost all of my heat soak problems with my Edelbrock. I run a mechanical pump with 5/16" fuel line. Nothing special.
- Home
Same here 5/16 line with mechanical pump, what is your carb/intake setup, also any pics would be greatly appreciated

edelbrock 600 afb with an edelbrock performer aluminum intake. i blocked the heat crossover ports
i bought the edelbrock open plentium heat shield and spacer from that site

Thanks for the info, if you get a chance could you post a picture of it, also did you have to use a gasket in between each piece for a total of 3 gaskets?

Did you do a temp comparison before and after?

Last edited:
the kit comes with gasket and studs, everything you need. you can call and talk to the guy before ordering
i did not do a temp check before and after

Thanks man, no issues with fit and function? Also did you have to readjust your throttle cable?

no issues at all
depends on where the bracket mounts
if to the carb (like a lokar cable), no
if on the intake then yes, a little bit

that was one of the prime reasons behind the ThermoQuad.
In 1971, when I ran a Holley on my Cuda, I made a large aluminum plate sandwiched between throttle plate mounting surface and the top of the intake mounting surface. I figured it would break the thermal conduction connection, and reflect engine heat away from float bowls. It worked great.
You could try replacing the needle and seats in the Carter/Edelbrock, they can become worn. Look down the venturi after hot shut down, if you see wisps of white looking smoke wafting up, those are raw fuel drops evaporating from the float bowl overflowing. That is because the needle and seats are not working properly and/or excessive heat in the bowl.

-
Back