ok more 360 build questions

-

moparjr

Reaction score
So i come home and my dad got me a roller 360 shortblock, pre-magnum. Of course being 16 and not much money not sure what way to go. It suppose to be running before heads removed ( it turns over easy ).

Dad says i can have his big valve j heads, and maybe shave them? but also he says get a roller cam first time, and build around it...He also got me a nice used ld340 intake, and headers are coming for xmas....not looking for a race car just a well running and quick sleeper.

I have 3:91,4:10,4:56 third memebers
904 w 2800-3000 stall

Ideas or direction would be great....

Thank you

Really think about your plans and what you want for the outcome. A well running quick sleeper is subjective to all. One persons idea of quick may not be yours. There is a bunch of info here on FABO about 360 builds. Having a good plan will save you money in the long run. I can't tell you how many times I've walked into an idea "thinking" it would be an easy and quick swap only to find out it would take more money and time than I thought.....mostly more money though:) Good luck with your plans and if Dad is keen on the mopars talk to him and maybe you can work out a good plan for your car.

The biggest obstacle with the 360 is the factory compression ratio. Shaving heads will help but that brings on it's own set of issues. You will need to shave the intake side also for intake fitment. There is a formula here on FABO to make it right. Then you might also have to get different pushrods depending on how much is shaved. There is just so much to every "mod" you make and it really pays to do your homework before jumping in. Again, good luck and welcome!

thank you....
for the input, i got the heads so lets skip them for now,
i am going to start w oil pump?
oil pan? windage tray?
timing chain, cam?
gasket set?

What about the crank, block and pistons? Are you going to pull them and check the bearings and clearances? It would suck to put everything on a worn bottom end.

What I would DO at 16 would not be what I would ADVISE a 16 year old. That advice would be to build her up stone stock, get used to it, have some fun with it, then think about mods. Just my 2 cents.

So i come home and my dad got me a roller 360 shortblock, pre-magnum. Of course being 16 and not much money not sure what way to go. It suppose to be running before heads removed ( it turns over easy ).

Dad says i can have his big valve j heads, and maybe shave them? but also he says get a roller cam first time, and build around it...He also got me a nice used ld340 intake, and headers are coming for xmas....not looking for a race car just a well running and quick sleeper.

I have 3:91,4:10,4:56 third memebers
904 w 2800-3000 stall

Ideas or direction would be great....

Thank you
I wonder if you could get your Dad to adopt me?

What I would DO at 16 would not be what I would ADVISE a 16 year old. That advice would be to build her up stone stock, get used to it, have some fun with it, then think about mods. Just my 2 cents.

Excellent idea.

Then find a 340, oops, here we go.

If you don't have much money just do rings and bearings on that bottom end. Check for cylinder taper and check bearing clearances. Bolt the heads on assuming they are known to be good. If heads are unknown get them gone over. Get the thinnest head gaskets you can find. Do not go with regular old Felpro head gaskets they are like .054" thick. Felpro performance head gaskets are like .035" but other brands are even thinner. You must stick with a mild cam being compression is so low. Look for a Holley 600 or Edelbrock 650 AVS. Run the 391s assuming you will not be high way driving otherwise trade em for some 3:55 or 3:23s. A good running 360 makes a real fun street engine.

Of course if Daddy has a couple bucks stepping up to some nice Keith Black hyper pistons to raise that compression up would realy be the hot ticket but you can always to that later in life when you have more funds.

I would pick up the book How to Rebuild a Small Block Mopar. That will have all the info you need in there.

-
Back