OK To Separate Body Quarters?

-

Forrest

Reaction score
Hey there fellow Mopar nuts. I am ready to begin the restoration of the vehicle pictured in my avatar. I want to strip the body down to bare metal and take care of all of the dings, waves, damage, etc. on the body. Although I am no expert by any means, I consider this body to be in excellent shape due to the fact that there is very, very little rust and only 2 minor damaged areas. My question is: is it OK to separate the quarters, hood, doors, and trunk lid to get this thing properly stripped? I plan on having it media or soda blasted. It has a coat of poorly applied dark paint over the original, factory paint. I have been told that if I separate everything I will not get the lines back as close as the lines are now. The body has never been separated before. As usual, thank you in advance for all responses. I would be in a world of hurt without this website and its members!
Thanks Again,
Forrest

by quarters i think you mean front fenders ? Taking it all apart is the best way to prep it properly. It takes a lot of time to put it back and line it all up but it worth it in the end.

IM000877.jpg

You can get the lines back correctly, you just need to work at it. And if you did really mean removing the quarters, it's a lot of work to do it and reinstall correctly. But it's worth the effort imo if you want it to last another 40 years. These are pictures of the underside of my Demon's quarters, since blasted and epoxy primed.

HPIM0709.jpg

HPIM0713.jpg

HPIM0736.jpg

Damn son! That is one hell of a restoration! I'm talking only the front quarters or fenders, doors, hood, and trunk. I have just been warned about separating the body parts. I have a good idea of what it takes to do it right and I am going to separate the parts. Thanks Y'all!

Waaaaa! Waaaa! I want my mommy...to help me restore my car. Don't worry Snake, I'm going for it, head first!

lol! You can remove the fenders, hood, deck lid, and doors and get them to line up properly. Just takes time and some patience. Go for it, it'll be worth it!

All the removable parts need to come off.....glass, trim, weatherstripping etc...

trust your feelings luke, you know these will line up. i like to do the Q/P's before i take the doors off.(for a point of reference) then do the front.

If all the parts line up good now, drill a small 1/8 in hole at the front and back of each piece before you remove them. That way when you go to put them back on, just insert a 1/8 in pin or drill bit back into the holes, and there you go.....perfect alignment...

-
Back