Ok , whos done stuff like this ? And admit it .

-
woooooow im no expert but these guys damn they make me look like jeese james.

im sure a few of those were just till i get to the parts store ones but i bet some are still like that.

the guy losing the axle shaft needs to take lessons from the chivvy folk :p I lost a belt waaaaaaay up in the mountains once, told my girlfriend to give me her bra, and promptly freaked out when i started hacking it into a makeshift belt. yes i bought her a new one im not a complete jackass.

the guy losing the axle shaft needs to take lessons from the chivvy folk :p I lost a belt waaaaaaay up in the mountains once, told my girlfriend to give me her bra, and promptly freaked out when i started hacking it into a makeshift belt. yes i bought her a new one im not a complete jackass.

Did something similar with panty hose, once back in the early 70's I had a 70 Duster with a slant six lost a belt. The woman was a business contact, not a girlfriend. lol

That was about 40 years ago, and we're still friends to this day. She lives in W.Va. married with children and grand children.

I ain't gonna lie.....the one at the bottom with the string tied to the wiper, I had to do that when I get stuck 100 miles from home in a rainstorm once. I had a 74 Dart, and the plastic bushing on the wiper pivot crapped out. I stopped at a store and bought 2 packs of shoe strings. I stood the wipers up, tied a shoe string to it, and ran it in the window. Tied another shoe string to the first one and ran it out the other window and tied it to the other wiper. Working the string back and forth...I had wipers! Arm got tired before I made it the 100 miles home, but I got there! :finga:

I ain't gonna lie.....the one at the bottom with the string tied to the wiper, I had to do that when I get stuck 100 miles from home in a rainstorm once. I had a 74 Dart, and the plastic bushing on the wiper pivot crapped out. I stopped at a store and bought 2 packs of shoe strings. I stood the wipers up, tied a shoe string to it, and ran it in the window. Tied another shoe string to the first one and ran it out the other window and tied it to the other wiper. Working the string back and forth...I had wipers! Arm got tired before I made it the 100 miles home, but I got there! :finga:

I had the exact same issue with a '74 plymouth fury wagon I had back in the day. Plastic bushing popped off in a rainstorm. I used some speaker wire I had laying around in the back.

That's some serious engineering...would make Red Green proud!

If you rig something to get you home thats one thing,
but most of these look like they were 'permanent' attempts at repair. Probably took more work than just getting the right parts and fixing it.

Done the antenna thing with a coat hanger and the exhaust patch with a beer/soda can.

I've done the can on the exhaust thing to get home. never as a fix.
I've seen silverware used as all sorts of things inside of and on cars, mostly handles. mirrors of all sorts taped to busted housings.
the chain and padlock thing was pretty common when I was in the Army.

OK, I'll bite. I had an old Ford LTD when I was young. I lost the rear bumper (no idea when or where :eek:ops: )... And I will admit to bolting a length of 2x12 on in it's place. After all, I needed some place to hang the license plate the the Hillside Police Dept found and called me to pick it up. It was still attached to the old bumper which was huge by the way! Oops. This little 17 yo punk nearly pooped himself when Mom hands me the phone saying "It's the police Pat...what did you do this time?"

Pat

Milk crate for a passenger seat (one night). Fog lights for headlights when I rear ended the receiver hitch of an f250

I once had a Buick diesel . Glow plug relay went out . I drilled out the breather , fabricated a hose to run from the breather to the bottom of the dashboard , and hooked a can of ether to it . Used that as a starting system for 2 years until I junked it .

I wouldn't admit to doing any of those things. :eek:)
same here, but I can honestly admit I've never done any of those things...

but I love the mercedes hood emblem (just surprised to see it on an actual Bends).

...and I saw the exterior locks on Mr. Bean's car lol.

Lets see, My dad had a 75 chevy with the tin can exhaust work at one point.

I used to have to stick my finger in where the lock cylinder used to be to start my car, close to the screw driver idea.

The windsheild wiper rope thing, my brother did that. I used a long handle squeegee for a few days when the wiper motor on my car went out.

I love, the garden hose tire. Cap off both ends, put air in it and you're good to go! It even has grooves to channel the water! :cheers:

I strapped a gas can to the roof of a car, ran a hose from it down to a hypodermic needle in a vac line to get the car home. Worked good enough, slobbering rich at idle, lean at more than 1/4 throttle, but it got the car home with out a tow fee that I couldn't afford. Rebuilt the carb the next day, the inlet valve was stuck shut.

I had a Cutlass (I Know) that I was about 20 miles in the middle of no where, my alternator failed, the only light I had was a flashlight. It was too hard to drive and hold the flashlight, so I had a girlfriend sit on the hood, up against the windshield and hold the flashlight! We made it back into town, with almost no flashlight batteries left!

I've done a few "get it home" fixes before, but they did get fixed properly after I was at the shop.

Used the Windshield Washer Pump to spray fuel into the carb throat on a truck after the fuel pump quit.

I also had a fusible link burn out on a truck at the gas station once. I was at the pumps, with the snow plow down and when I went to start the truck I had no power to anything. I popped the hood, pulled the cover off the fusible link box and swapped the IGN link for the High Beam link.

On my way home I stopped at the parts store and picked up a pack of Fusible Links for a full size dodge (since nobody sold links for a D50)

Gas Stations are probably thinking WTF when they see me under the hood of a vehicle at the pumps. I sometimes crawl under the hood to fine-tune whatever I'm driving at the time. Usually just tweaking adjustments, checking the fluids, etc. But you don't see that too often in this day and age, so it's probably weird for everyone else to see it. :D

Did the c clamp on the battery post one time to get home.

My best fix it to get moving was back in the 70's we were at a party at a boat ramp in Maine, and the cops came and said we were being noisy and had to leave.

A friend of mine was to intoxicated to drive so I said I would drive his car out of there, jumped in the car (VW Bug) and the throttle cable had broke. Well my buddy and I came up with the brilliant idea that he would sit on the back bumper and operate the throttle while I drove. So that's what we did, he sat on the bumper and locked his left arm around the hood hinge and we fired it up and took of down the road with me yelling out the window, SHIFT, he would let off the throttle long enough for me to grab a gear.

Believe it or not the cop that was there just stood there shaking his head.

True story. Man things were so much easier in the 70's. LOL

I am trying real hard,but drawing a blank,the only stupid thing me and a buddy did was ride on the fenders of my old 75 Duster for 3 miles wile Cindy drove us home we were very drunk,I thought hey maybe this will sober us up in mid February the wind chill was probably -69 lol hey i was 20 need i say more.

Thats bad enough . Playing masthead in sub-zero weather ? Not even the SEALs training had that exercise . Don't tell them though . What training they had was enough .

-
Back