Okay, more clutch help needed please. Adjustment, and noise.

-

J-MacsMopars

Shade Tree Vintage Auto on YouTube
Reaction score
I need to know what size of clutch this application takes please. Any help would be great.

That question was answered. However I am wondering if I need to replace the clutch.

As I was driving the truck up here to OR,the peddle ended up actually moving out a bit. It used to be even with the brake peddle, but is now probably a half inch higher and if I push the clutch all the way to the floor, it makes a metal against metal squeaking sound. The clutch used to engage with the peddle about half way out, now its at the very end and is almost all or nothing feeling. When the clutch engages, it is still firm and doesn't slip, however if you are at higher RPM's in lower gears, you can defiantly here the throw out bearing (I think thats what it is as when you disengage the clutch it goes away). The clutch was supposedly replaced about 8k ago. Does it sound like the throw out bearing has failed, or do you think it could just need adjusted? I bought the new clutch, its just a matter of changing it with no floor jack in my apartment complex parking lot (which is also on an angle). I may have a new job, will find out in just a few hours and really need the truck to commute. Also, if it makes a difference, it is an 85 Dodge D150 with a 318 and the 833 OD trans. I will be grateful for any and all help. Thank you all a ton.

Jeremy

Something I just ran into and you may know this already, you can buy the clutch as OE BorgBeck 3 finger style or diaphragm style. If you buy a diaphragm style clutch you must remove the overcenter spring from the clutch pedal assembly or it will not work right.

Something I just ran into and you may know this already, you can buy the clutch as OE BorgBeck 3 finger style or diaphragm style. If you buy a diaphragm style clutch you must remove the overcenter spring from the clutch pedal assembly or it will not work right.

Is this the diaphragm style that you speak of? If so, how do you go about removing the spring? Maybe that is the problem that I have ran into with the current clutch. That possibly could explain why the peddle is now in a different spot.

0C4026F3-7068-422A-8034-8FF46D0647AB-11142-00000A0C221242C7.jpg

Is this the diaphragm style that you speak of? If so, how do you go about removing the spring?

Yes, that's a diaphram style clutch. I don't think this is your issue, but to get the spring off, shove a bunch of washers or whatever between the rungs of the spring while the pedal is in the up position. Depress the pedal and should be able to pry the spring off.

Thanks C. I will look into removing the spring. I am really hoping that there is just an adjustment that can prolong replacement for a little bit, but I think that I know better.

I need to ask why the need to remove the pedal spring when using a diaphram type clutch preassure plate???
Thanks,
Jim

-
Back