Okay, WHAT is going on with my brakes??!

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
For the past year or so I've had to put up with a "soggy" brake pedal. I have manual front disk brakes on my '70 Duster (yes they are the Kelsey-Hayes) with pads and shoes in good shape. After replacing a front rubber brake line and bleeding the brakes (which took almost a whole 1-liter bottle of brake fluid) on the front side I fixed as well as both the rears the pedal had firmed up nicely. However only a day or so later and the pedal was soft again; it will go down about two inches and then suddenly firm up. I also have to make sure I press the pedal with some quickness, as the pedal slowly sinks all the way to the floor if I gently put my foot on it. It seems like air is getting into the system from somewhere, as I kept getting bubbles when I was bleeding the brakes even though I was sure nothing was leaking. Could this be a master cylinder issue? If so where should I get a good one from, as my current one is a remanufactured MC (I think Cardone or whatever) I got two years ago from Checker.

Cardone = crap.
Checker = crap.
"Remanufactured" = crap.

This what you're experiencing is typical of a master cylinder with leaky seals: when you hit the brake pedal hard, the seals flare and make a decent seal. When you slowly apply the pedal, the seals don't flare and fluid runs past them.

Put on a new master cylinder, Raybestos #MC36426. Make sure you bench-bleed it thoroughly before you install it. Your trouble will go away.

If the peddle is going slowly to the floor and you're sure ya got the air out of the system then your master cylinder piston is bypassing. IMHO

Terry

have had the same problem on a number of vehicles over the years a new master cylinder as recommended by slantsixdan has always fixed it

-
Back