old cars going for scrap... dissapointing

-

one bad 440

Reaction score
Today at lunch I was very dissapointed to see an either 54 5 or 6 chevy on the back of a flat bed headed for the local iron scrap yard. It was missing the trunk lid and the back window was busted up but other then that it was all there, it was a 2 door too, had no paint left on it but looked pretty solid other then that. I am tempted to call them tomorrow morning to see if it is there and maybe buy it. I know it is not a mopar but I still hated to see it on the way to the end of its life as a cool old car. The flat bed towing it looked to be more of a POS then the car. It sucks having that iron scrap yard here in town because I see alot of cars headed there and a lot of them have been old stuff that you wish could have been restored rather then junked for iron weight.

Times are hard . Stuff aint selling . We took a 40 some thing stude years ago . No windows and a fender was junk but other then that it was all ther . Cant save them all . Inless you got deep pockits . As for buying it . I bet you drive up ther thay picked it up with the claw or some thing like that already . Altho some scrap yards know what some stuff is and have a spot for cars like that . Like the one we took the stude too . He took the 40 somthing and slid it in to a spot by its self . But the 65 ish stude wagon . just got the claw . If it counts it was cool to see lmao

The most disgusting thing I've ever seen at the crusher was a '70 Coronet 440, 2door hardtop, gold with tan interior, buckets and console, down to the original hubcaps and slightly chalky paint.

Old lady wanted a divorced husband's car dead. I offered her $1500 on the spot, she would not take it and would not leave until she physically watched it be crushed. That was a sight to see. This was about 15 years ago.

Cars rotting in yards is one thing, but that was like watching a train wreck.

hate it when they crush classics of any kind! it doesn't matter if its a Dodge, Plymouth, VW, Toyota, Studebaker, AMC, ect... Here in New york its hard to find a classic car and to see them get crush is just too much of a heartbreak. Can't save them all - wish I can though

If you want one you see like that, you probably have to stop the truck before it gets to the scrap yard, and offer a fair amount above scrap value, then work out a way to get it off the truck and home (usually involving generous additional compensation). Also hope they have a title, or it's a parts car at best.

In FL, most "metal recyclers" can't sell complete cars unless they follow some very strict regulations. Most don't bother.

There is one in De Bary that keeps all the classics separate and reasonably un- "bumped". American Auto Salvage. Good folks!

I stopped a guy dragging a 66 Coronet but he said he wasn't going to the scrap yard.

I've seen a few that I'd like to have made an offer on, but most were gms (novas and a couple 60's trucks), but I barely have room for all my Mopar parts and projects.

I just saw a complete yellow and black 70 Z28 on the scale . 350 4spd. even the emblems were on it. I snagged the brown 4spd. shift ball. And some odds and ends. What a shame. Last inspection was 86.

Times are hard . Stuff aint selling .

I dont buy that. If its not selling your just asking to much. Whats the scrap yard gonna give you ? A few hundred ? You dont think you can get $500 for a 55 Chevy even if its a rotted turd ?

It hapeens everywhere . Just recently , I've seen 2 1965-66 Galaxie 500's go to the crusher , and an early 60's Caddie coupe on a trailer stuffed full of scrap steel . There is even a Lil Red Express sitting in the back of the lot . Been there almost 5 years .

Attachments

• DSCF0074_0160_160.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF0073_0161_161.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 216
Some that have been crushed before I could negotiate them .

Attachments

• DSCF0776.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF0907.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCF0941.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF0962.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 221
The Merc had some issues , but it was all complete . I got a soft spot for old Mercurys . Thats all my dad ever owned besides Harleys .

I dont buy that. If its not selling your just asking to much. Whats the scrap yard gonna give you ? A few hundred ? You dont think you can get $500 for a 55 Chevy even if its a rotted turd ?
I agree In the case of the 40 we needed the money like that day . Didnt have time to wate for a buyer . Famliy over the cars .

That '68 looks a lot like the same condition that '70 was in that I was mentioning.

If that Li'l Red Express has been there that long, it's not in harms way. They know better on that truck.

-
Back