Old Champion radiator leaks, Brand new Champion radiator leaks !

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
So my 6 or 7 year old Champion radiator developed a leak, somewhere in the core, hard to pinpoint exactly cause it was a slow leak.

Or I order up a brand new Champion radiator from Jegs. Shows up, looks great, polished aluminum not like the old one that was just bare aluminum.
They have changed the design for this application, mounting holes are more where they should be, but still not right. Still have to "slot" the mounting holes with a file. At least they moved the overflow nipple to the passenger side where it should be.
Spent a few hours over the last few days, making brackets, drilling and tapping holes, etc, to fit my electric fan onto the radiator. (new radiator has taller brackets on the sides, so had to change things around a bit). This also moves your fan, or shroud, closer to the engine by about 9/16".
So get it in, hook everything up, start filling the radiator, and immediately it's pissing antifreeze on the floor. It's leaking somewhere around where the core meets the bottom tank, on the drivers side.
If you watch the video, you can see it puddling on the bottom tank and running down the side.

So now I have to pull this piece of crap out and return it to Jegs.

Do I dare try another Champion? Is there a reasonably priced alternative?

I’d say no to the first question. And you’d get no better results regarding the second question. If you could find one with a limited lifetime warranty, an aluminum one where you could just take it in and get another one if there was an issue with it then I’d be getting on that treadmill. Short of that it’s Griffin, Cold Case, among others. I have an American made FSR in my van, pretty heavy duty with the 1” tubes. They can make one custom if needed. Your money not mine I know but I’d make the stretch and try one of the higher end companies FSR Products - FSR Radiators

I would contact Champion directly before Jegs & see if they want you to have it pressure tested to see where the leak is before they replace it.

I've had my share of issues with both Champion and ECP speedcooling. My next radiator will be a COLD CASE.

Probably just going to return it to Jegs as defective.
Then I'm thinking, I have a factory copper/brass radiator out of a '71 V8 A-body, but its been sitting outside for years. I found a local radiator shop near me, I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what they'd charge to clean it up, rod it out, or re-core it, whatever it needs, and to heck with this aftermarket stuff.

So my 6 or 7 year old Champion radiator developed a leak, somewhere in the core, hard to pinpoint exactly cause it was a slow leak.

Or I order up a brand new Champion radiator from Jegs. Shows up, looks great, polished aluminum not like the old one that was just bare aluminum.
They have changed the design for this application, mounting holes are more where they should be, but still not right. Still have to "slot" the mounting holes with a file. At least they moved the overflow nipple to the passenger side where it should be.
Spent a few hours over the last few days, making brackets, drilling and tapping holes, etc, to fit my electric fan onto the radiator. (new radiator has taller brackets on the sides, so had to change things around a bit). This also moves your fan, or shroud, closer to the engine by about 9/16".
So get it in, hook everything up, start filling the radiator, and immediately it's pissing antifreeze on the floor. It's leaking somewhere around where the core meets the bottom tank, on the drivers side.
If you watch the video, you can see it puddling on the bottom tank and running down the side.

So now I have to pull this piece of crap out and return it to Jegs.

I `ve posted this a few times ---Griffin radiator , hasnt leaked in about 10 yrs . , after I dropped the car off a floor jack----------gave $286 for it from summit racing. 28x19 crossflow w/ 1 1/4'' tubes ,
2 row .
IMG_0539 (3).jpg

-
Back