Old cop cars!

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I seem to have an affinity for old cop cars.I was hooked as a kid.I saw a late 60s Coronet.Had a purple shafted 383.Single plane,headers,the whole nine.I took a ride,thing hauled a##!, Since,I have a growing love for nasty four doors.Curious if anyone thinks alike.

When I was just a kid,my Dad had a gas station. He use to go to auctions,and buy cars to fix up and sell. He bought 2 early 60's Dodge police interceptors one time. My older brother patched up the holes from the spotlight,and antaneas,and shot them with some paint. Then he had a big time taking them out a racing them. Who would have thought a 4 door with push button auto,could be that fast?

Okla,I agree on fire trucks.Great sleepers.Saw Cliffs new fo/door,started thinking about more doors.

That would be a cool project.Update the drivetrain,or original?

One night my high school buddies and me were out creating mischief because we were bored. One guy knocked over a newspaper machine for the h@ll of it. Well, some cops saw us and rousted us. They had us stand with our hands on the hood of this big Dodge. I was in front of the car and could see the grille. It was a slow police night so they made us stand there while they lectured us. My hands were burning from the heat of that engine! Soon, a call came in on the radio and they jumped into the Dodge and sped off with a little bit of a burnout! I was impressed. I never forgot that grille. 5 years ago I bought a 1969 Dodge Polara 500 convertible with a numbers matching HP 383 and the very same grille I remembered from the cop car!!

We moved to Pismo Beach,early 72.My brother had a 66 mustang 289.(Headers,Cragars,you know the usual....)Coming back from Santa Maria,someone whizzed by us.80 or 90,or so.A early 70s polara rolls up,and proceeds to hammer the nastiest moan I had heard in my 5 years of life.My brother commented,"Wow,six pack" With experience,lord knows. No T/Q or AFB sounded like that moan.

I got a ride in one of the last 440 big sedans, there was 6 of us and the cop nailed it after a turn. It pushed us back OK. Cop was like oh there are many cars quicker but this is good for over 140 mph. Once that happens it runs up on anything. It was a state cop with a partner, no video cameras back then...nobody wore their seatbelt either....we got nailed doing Halloween pranks by some jerk who caught us and state boys showed up and we got taken in to the post.

There was a big fence yard with a power gate all the cop cars were kept. After the 440's were all gone the cops kept the gate opened all the time--till 9/11 happen. Me and my buddy would laugh every time we seen the gate open..meant the cop cars were wimpy no good cars now that can't "fly" ...that gate was always shut until the 440 cars were gone.

www.cop cars.com tons of old pictures from many states,wish could find a old rust free mopar that doen't cost a arm & leg.on a nother note my 19 year old needed a car after the neon rusted to death..he got a 2000 ford p71 [crown vic ] police package 98k..1500 bucks fast *** hell handles like a sports car...he going broke feed gas to it!!!!

One of our local Mopar club members has an ex-RCMP cruiser

Attachments

• Cop car 1.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 769
  • Cop car 2.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 745
  • Cop car 3.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 738
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

i had a 79 volare copcar..loved that thing, but michigan winters were hard on the f bodies..now i have a brand f ex-cruiser.. its a ton of fun.

Grew up watching the big CHP cruisers in Calif. Impressive. I do own a Kentucky State Trooper pursuit vehicle from the 60's. Came with a 383 and push button tranny. Front sway bars to boot. Oh yes, it's a 64 Savoy two door post car. I still need the dome type gum ball for the top. It's on the rotissier as we speak and until the economy picks up it may remain there till times get better. It's in the shop so it will hold for awhile if need be. Let me know if ya got a dome top gumball.
Small Block

I too am into old cop cars.

My dad's 68 Coronet that he ordered thru the zone rep.

New
68CoronetNew-1.jpg

3 years old
68Coronet1973-1.jpg

My older brother's CV sled
P9092006.jpg

My 81 350 9C1 Malibu

DSCN0321.jpg

Another CV
P5187751.jpg

P5187749.jpg

74_CHP_Monaco-1.jpg

CopyofDSCN0028.jpg

I've got a '98 P71 and an '85 AHB Gran Fury. Gonna put a roller-cam 360 in the Plymouth amongst other "Goodies." Would love a set of the deck lights shown in that pic posted by "Plugger340," and YellowDartDave- the Coronet makes me drool and I even like the Malibu.

I found this Hazard County, Rossco P Coaltrain cruiser over in Belton, Texas parked in front of a Wal Mart in September. I was leaving and it was getting dark but I had to snap these 2 pictures! Wish it was mine!

Attachments

• 100_4891.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 662
  • 100_4892.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 665
I traded a four channel stereo out my Roadrunner for one of those police interceptor engines with 30,000 miles on it.
373 gears and that motor, 140 was all I had the balls for.
The word tires kept haunting me, but that thing seemed to have endless power on the street.

But,,,that was 30 years ago.

This one was at a car show several years ago. I was told that it use to be Missouri Highway Patrol car. Note the siren on the passenger fender. 1960 Dodge Pioneer

Attachments

• P6080015.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 607
-
Back